Saturday, 28 December 2013

Christmas



I hope you all had lovely Christmasses. We had a pleasant, quiet one. We all missed Ian and it felt just frankly strange to be here without him, his armchair empty all the time.

We had a goose which was lovely but I didn't do enough gravy. We did that thing of resting the meat for half an hour before eating because all the TV chefs tell you the meat tastes better if you do it. It certainly tasted really good but to me it wasn't hot enough. Maybe we just didn't wrap our goose well enough while it was resting.



I thought I would just sow you all the chocolates I had for Christmas as well as show you (top) what I bought for myself at great expense: a GPS thingy. It's not a satnav for cars, it's a walkers' GPS gadget. I am pretty good at following maps but when you get to forks in paths - which usually have no signposts - how do you know if that left/right fork is the one you are meant to be taking, or just a sheep track? I don't have my expert cartographer hubby any more but don't want to be less adventurous out in the country, so decided to get myself one of these. I decided to leave Ludo's paw in the picture, and I also decided not to hoover up the tree needles first either.

Ian always got ne a chocolate Santa so now my sis-in-law took pity on me and gave me two! The set of bars was meant as a birthday present from somebody, only I didn't know it and kept it for Christmas. It's a bar a day Advent set of chocs. I've eaten some chocs already but the above is what is left. So with my GPA and my chocs I can eat as I walk.

I did get a few other things too but chose these to show you.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Foody. A GPS yes they are fun. We use one for geocaching, well done on buying one for yourself. I am sure you will use it well and go to many lovely places. Lets hope we have another sunny hot summer and you have lots of walks and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That GPS thingy is a great idea - especially now if you are planning on walking on your own. That's a bit of a worry to me. There are lots of walking groups I hear and you would be a lot safer walking with others sometimes though I understand your wanting to just go where and when you like.
    Glad you had a good Christmas- another first you have put behind you. Now let's hope for a Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann: I thought of you when I got it. Maybe if I get stuck with it you can help me out. I've made a small start with it. Will look at the online manual soon.

    Helsie: You are right, there are walking groups. I like to have the best of both worlds. I've enjoyed group and led walks but I like going it alone a lot too, so this will make me feel more secure about doing that. Yes, let's hope for a really good New Year with maybe even some pleasant surprises.

    ReplyDelete