Saturday, 23 February 2013
My dear hubby. May he rest in peace
I am so sorry, dear friends, to tell you that my hubby died last night. His name was Ian. He won't mind me saying. He won't mind me putting his picture up either.
He was very ill yesterday mid-morning and they called me in. I sat with him until 6.30pm and he was the same then as at 10.30am and they said he was stabilising and was comfortable so I thought he wouldn't change much for a day or so. I had even discussed with the staff about taking him home on Monday for me to care for him here, so we had no idea the end was so near. At 6.30pm I asked him to squeeze my hand if he wanted me to stay instead of performing in the show. I got no response. I asked him to squeeze if he thought I should go. He squeezed and nodded his head so I went. I had done my opening scene, came to the dressing room and found a message asking me to go back to the hospital because he had taken a turn for the worse. I raced there and just as I rushed into the room, reached his side, held his hand and spoke his name, he breathed his last. I like to think he knew I was there and had hung on for me.
He was a kind, considerate, generous man and definitely the better half of this marriage. I might put up a eulogy sometime.
I may not be around much for a while. As you can imagine, I am shocked and devastated. A lot of the time I am still in disbelief. I thought he would be around a bit longer and with a bit better quality of life because he was due to try a different drug. We had every hope of maybe a couple more months of a reasonably good life. I just never expected him not to live until the spring. It just was not to be.
He left me a lovely card and I just wish I could say to him that I loved it and could reciprocate some of the things he said and reassure him that I will be alright.
May he rest in peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Take time to heal. Your true friends will not desert you. So sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteOh bless you Foody oh we are so very sorry to read this on your blog just now. Sending loads of love and hugs to you. May your hubby rest in peace xxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteOh Foody. I don't know you not even your name, but I have tears re reading your blog again. Sending love. Xxxxxx ps no need to post this posting xx
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad that we met him. Though it was only for a day he came across as a kind and gentle soul. God Bless.
ReplyDeleteI felt so sad for you when reading this. You're right, he was generous, he wanted you to take part in the show and you were there with him right at the end and he knew that.
ReplyDeleteWish I could give you a big hug. Kath xx
Dear All, Thank you so, so much for your kindness. You have all been so nice I feel I owe it to you to tell you my name. OK, here are some facts. My name is Yvonne. Ian and I met Helsie and Tony in Ludlow in May 2011. It's only about 70 miles from our home in the Plynlimon foothills. That was me in the brown trousers, stripey top and fawn jacket in Helsie's photos.
ReplyDeleteI miss him terribly.
Even though we've known your name for a couple of years you'll always be Foody to us!
ReplyDeleteHelsie: Oh good, because I have got so used to the name I often think of myself as Foody anyway.
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to call you 'Yvonne' for years - but if you prefer 'Foody', 'Foody' it is.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm back online. I couldn't bare to stay away from my friends for long, so I went out and bought myself a new laptop computer.
It goes without saying that I am truly upset by events and as usual I'm afraid, I am at a loss to find the correct words.
Your old 'Blog Pal'.....Bernard
Hi Bernard. A new laptop eh? Thank Bernard. I don't mind you not using words. You needn't say anything. It's thoughts that count. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry to learn you lost your lovely husband and offer you sincere sympathy and understanding. Xx
ReplyDeleteDear Mrs. S, Thank you for dropping in and offering sympathy. I know you have 'been there' too so you know what it's like. Xx
ReplyDelete