Thursday, 12 September 2013

Ohhhh....h.h.h.h.h.......... and an older 'Ohhhhh......h.h.h.h.h.......' from the past.




I told you yesterday I had had a big 'go' at a local supermarket over their faulty Rug Doctor. I took it back last night and the man was so very apologetic. I had said on the phone I didn't think a free return was quite enough because I had waited weeks to have two days together and would have to do the same etc etc and had set the day aside. He was really nice and handed me a £5 voucher, then he said it was strange the bent plug pin hadn't been noticed because they usually check the plugs before hiring out. He went on to say 'I expect somebody just slammed it in their car door and didn't want to own up.' Then I remembered - I had had trouble shutting the back door with it in there. I didn't look to see what the obstruction was - I just pushed it in a bit more and slammed the door. It was me! It was all my fault! But I didn't feel I could say so, not after making all that fuss.

The £5 voucher burned my hand and my pocket. I felt so ashamed I couldn't wait get out. I have decided I will give either the voucher or £5 to either charity or anonymously to some needy person or family.



What things have you done in your life that you are most ashamed of? This is one of mine. The other is causing a whole class of boys to get 'the belt' or 'the cosh' - two tongued leather thing they used to whack children's hands with in school. They don't give it now. We were all left unattended and making an awful din, shouting, throwing things. I let out this almighty bear growl and just at that moment the teacher walked in. She demanded to know which boy had made the growl. One of the boys said 'Please, Foody ....' but he got no further. The teacher said 'How dare you tell such lies?! That was a boy's growl! If nobody owns up I will just have to belt all the boys.' Well, she was so angry I was scared of getting the belt myself so I shut up and we all sat in silence and watched all the boys queue up and be whacked. I don't think anybody except that one boy actually knew it was me. There were no repercussions. Maybe he just thought he had been mistaken.
I believe I looked guilty when the accusation was made and if she had asked me I was prepared to say Yes, but I wasn't going to volunteer it.

6 comments:

  1. "Oh, shameless one!
    Oh, bold-faced thing!
    Away you run,
    Go take you wing,
    You shameless one!
    You bold-faced thing!"
    .
    "Ah! If there be pardon in your breast
    For this poor penitent,
    Who, with remorseful thought opprest,
    Sincerely doth repent;"
    .
    Tut, tut. And a 'lady of law' as well. :)
    Cheers.....Bernrd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernard: Is that quotation from one of the plays of W. S. Gilbert, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed Foodyvo. From Patience - Act I.
    My favourite song from here is however "A Silver Churn".
    "And Iron and Steel expressed surprise,
    The needles opened their well-drilled eyes'
    The penknives felt 'shut-up', no doubt,
    The scissors declared themselves 'cut-out',
    The kettles they boiled with rage, 'tis said,
    While every nail went off its head,
    And hither and thither began to roam,
    Till a hammer came up - and drove them home."
    .
    Brilliant writing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it sprung to mind from......
    ....
    BUNTHORNE Heart-broken at my Patience's barbarity,
    By the advice of my solicitor
    In aid -- in aid of a deserving charity,
    I've put myself up to be raffled for!

    [He introduces his solicitor.]

    MAIDENS By the advice of his solicitor,
    He's put himself up to be raffled for!

    DRAGOONS Oh, horror! urged by his solicitor,
    He's put himself up to be raffled for!

    MAIDENS Oh, heaven's blessing on his solicitor!

    DRAGOONS A hideous curse on his solicitor!

    MAIDENS Oh, heaven's blessing on his solicitor!

    DRAGOONS A hideous curse on his solicitor!

    MAIDENS DRAGOONS

    A blessing on his solicitor! A curse, a curse on his
    solicitor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh Foody you will need to confess on Simon Mayo radio show as he has a confession spot, re the Rug Dr lol. I probably wouldn't have fessed up either lol that sounds just like something I would do. But a nice thought about giving the voucher to someone in need. Hope you are well. I haven't been posting on my blog for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann and Bernard. Three months on. Shameful of me.
    The next time I was in Morrisons I spent the voucher and put £5 worth of food in the local food bank.
    I don't think I could face going on national radio about it.
    Bernard: It is indeed superb writing by WS Gilbert.

    ReplyDelete