Tuesday, 16 September 2014
Bad reporting
I am far too canny to say what my decision would be. I am not even going to say whether my heart differs from my head. I am hating the attention people are giving me because of it and am hating being treated as a little anomaly ( though that is permanently the case anyway. Don't get me started on English people living in Wales tasking what the heck I, (I, I, I??) am doing here!!! What are THEY doing here???!!! But that's a different gripe). For the past year I have had people come up to me and say 'What do you think about the referendum?' I try to gauge what their views are first, then I just say what I think they would like to hear because I can't hold a political argument for toffee. Sooty would do a better job. If the answer I give is not the same as the view held by my interrogator, I get shouted down. That's why I have started to say, as soon as anyone opens their mouth and says 'What..?.' I just shut my eyes and say 'I don't know.'
Then they say, 'Well hadn't you better make up your mind? It's happening soon.' Then I remind then that as an exiled Scot I have no vote and they are really surprised.
Why are they so surprised to hear I don't get a vote? The reporting is erroneous. All the time we get 'Scottish people will decide...' 'The Scots will decide....'. NO, THEY ****** won't! OK? I have emailed the BBC twice about this. There are Scots all over the world who won't vote and there are all sorts of nationalities within Scotland who will vote. That is the facts. I don't feel aggrieved about it at all. That's just the law of elections. It saves me having to think seriously about what I would vote. And at least I can't be shouted at about the result, whatever it is, because either way, lots of people are going to be very unhappy.
I won't be staying up. I never stay up for elections and political stuff. I would rather count sheep. What comes of the referendum we will just have to deal with it. I am going on a long walk on Friday and need my sleep.
One thing I will say. I am never aroused by politics but when I heard about Cameron saying how will all his heart and soul and mind or whatever it was, that he wanted Scotland and that we were an alliance, that just made me really cross. I'm not saying why. Don't want to get shouted down.
Fauna Friday will appear as usual on Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It is a huge decision and a very difficult one I think. We are only looking on in interest. I imagine there will be repercussions no matter which way it goes. Have a nice walk, hope the weather is good for you.
ReplyDeleteIt is a worry. We know which way we are voting. All politicians are the same, they promise the earth to get votes, the town each Saturday leading up has been full of folk dishing out Yes and No flags and leaflets. Cars going about with flags and stickers on them. It is a worry.
ReplyDeleteThis is something that I must admit doesn't particularly interest me.
ReplyDeleteNo one is asking me, and as I don't have a TV, I have not seen any of the debates. The only two concerns I have, are - since all opinion polls are around the 50/50 mark, I see up north, a 'divided' nation for a long time to come. I hope it is not going to be another Northern Ireland.
Very sad really, but this is the way the EU likes to do things. Divide and conquer.
My second concern is - will I still be able to get my haggis in Morrisons for £1.32? :-)
"Relationships between neighbours are now threatened if you indicate which way you are voting."
ReplyDeleteAs I predicted in my earlier comment.
Daily Telegraph -
The daughter of one of Alex Salmond’s school teachers has asked the First Minister to stop invoking her late father’s memory, and accused him of creating divisions across Scotland.
Fiona Scott, whose father John Ferguson taught Mr Salmond maths at Linlithgow Academy, said he would have been appalled by the intimidation, violence and vandalism caused by the referendum.
She described her father as a fair and compassionate man who hated “bullying”, and said her family was unhappy that the First Minister had, over the years, referred to his teaching and beliefs.
In a letter to a newspaper, she added: “Freedom of speech is under threat. Relationships between neighbours are now threatened if you indicate which way you are voting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11096859/Daughter-of-Alex-Salmonds-old-teacher-tells-First-Minister-to-stop-invoking-her-fathers-memory.html
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/16/Political-Violence-Anticipated-Scotland
ReplyDeleteBernard: Well, you've been busy! Yes, I can only agree about the close 50/50 thing. Maybe with such a serious issue they should have set a higher majority than 51%. There will be almost half a nation of very unhappy people, however it turns out.
ReplyDeleteAnn: Yes, it is highly emotive. Well, we shall see soon enough.
And giving the vote to 16 year olds ?
ReplyDeletePhewww thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteBernard, I would have met you at the border :-) and handed you a haggis :-)
Did anyone see the Metro online lol. Some wags had made a large banner and placed it at Gretna on it was written " Friday 19, border closed for training" a lighter moment in all the ballyhoo of the referendum
Helsie: Indeed. At age 16 and 17 you are still just a kid.
ReplyDeleteAnn: Well, things seem to have returned to normal now, as far as normal can be normal.