Friday, 5 December 2014

Fauna Friday: Exmoor Pony biscuits




At our church we have a fortnightly Wednesday social meeting when we have talks by members of the congregation, followed by tea and cakes. For the first time, I did a talk myself and it was all about Exmoor ponies. What better refreshments to provide than Exmoor pony biscuits? I just made a basic chocolate biscuit mix and cut pony shapes with my pony biscuit cutter. Then I panted on the mealy muzzles and 'toad' eyes with melted white chocolate (actually to get a proper muzzle colour I added a square of milk chocolate to the white). The nostrils and eyes were then dabbed on using a cocktail stick dipped in strong cocoa.

My Quasar is not chewing her food properly. This happens in older ponies and horses. She might need her teeth rasping or might need one or two removed. Either way, I'm worried about the stress this will cause her, at her age (30). I also think she isn't seeing so well. I'll get the vet to come and look at her.

I wish I blogged more. I used to. When I was working I hardly kept off it! Partly I'm really busy right now but partly I often just don't feel in the right frame of mind for being sociable and chatty. I've been feeling very sorry for myself in the last couple of months and as Christmas approaches I seem to just think of sad events in the last 2/3 years. Every so often I kick myself up the backside and tell myself to think of all the good things. I enjoy a pretty good life and I don't work, or hardly, so how good is that?! I hated work with a passion and now I am free. I mustn't dwell so much on my losses as I have a lot to be thankful for - a good life, health, freedom and a future. C'mon, Foody. (I'll get there) I will TRY to blog a bit more often.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, and I thought you were doing so well and were so busy and that's why you weren't blogging. I'm so sorry to hear this . I guess Christmas is a bad time and I hope you are not spending it all alone.
    I also have not been blogging much. Feel like I haven't much to say that I haven't already said. Actually I'm in a bit of a rut and need to pull myself out and get busy doing things instead of frittering my time away and not achieving anything. Our garden needs work but it is so dry that it is impossible to dig and so depressing . However we are actually having a little rain at the moment so that might soften the ground up a bit and make things easier.
    Sounds like your old pony may need her teeth filed. Hope that is all. I have been following a site on Facebook which is interesting ( called Amanda Vella's S.A.H.A Horse Rescue and Sanctuary) . Some terrible cases but such wonderful workers and saving a lot of dreadful cases. Have a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: So sorry. I haven't looked at the blog until today.
    Sorry to hear you are in a rut and under-motivated. That doesn't sound like you. I know what you mean though. I feel the year goes round and I cover the same things at the same times. I'll look at the horse sanctuary. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete