Saturday, 20 December 2014
Weeks and months of baking
I spent many weeks and months gradually building up this supply in the freezer until the big day on 10th December. The big day was the arrival of the memorial bench for my late husband at his place of work. I expected it to be completed by early autumn so started baking in the summer.
I'll list the cakes: chocolate and spice, lemon, Exmoor boiled fruit cake, Victoria sponge, apple and blackberry pies, raspberry and white chocolate blondies, pear and ginger upside down, choux buns filled with pineapple and cream, coffee kisses and shortbread.
Here is the bench. I had it individually made. Actually I provided a photo of exactly what I wanted and it did not have those crossover legs. What I asked for were four straight up and down traditional legs, but when I went to see it at the sawmills they were beaming all over their faces, anticipating that I would be overjoyed, so I hadn't the heart to ask for the legs to be changed. I have grown to like its sturdy look. I like the wide arms that will easily accommodate a cup of tea and a sandwich box.
I had the plaque made earlier and sent to the sawmills for them to fix on before delivering the bench.
We had a couple of short speeches at the bench, then up to a common room for the drinks and cakes. It was a great occasion. Lots of people turned up and said the nicest things. That is the last formal event I suppose of remembering my dear hubby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Perfect ! He would have loved it ! A wonderful idea.
ReplyDeleteHelsie: Yes, it is, and it all went, exactly as he would have wanted it.
ReplyDeleteIt looks perfect Foodie. Great idea of wider arms on the bench. He would be very proud of you.
ReplyDelete