Thursday, 23 January 2014

A filthy job





When did you last clean your oven? I can say, smugly 'today!'. But when did I do it before that? I can't remember. Two years ago might be an optimistic guess. It was installed in 2008 and I have only cleaned it once before today.

I nearly got a man in to do it after Christmas but decided I didn't want to pay £40 so I tried cleaning it with bicarbonate of soda as recommended in my little Household Remedies book. That didn't scratch the surface so yesterday I applied some of that Oven Mate or something - a horrible corrosive chemical cleaner. I left it on for about 18 hours then followed the instructions. 'Simply wipe clean'. 'Simply'? Huh. I scrubbed and scrubbed at the crusty burnt-on bits over and over and still my little brush was coming out dark brown and sticky. I suppose I'll just have to do it again and again until it is clean. It could take months. I should really wipe it out each time I use it but you know how it is...

Well, it's cleaner than it was, so that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment