Saturday, 4 January 2014
Which car?
Last year, on top of servicing and MOT, I had to spend just over £400 on two repairs in May. This car has done over 130,000 miles and as you can see it's 2005 registered so I decided then that if it cost me any more significant sums before May 2014 I would be saying goodbye to it. Well, last week I found I needed a part and the whole job, including the part, will cost about £120. That isn't that significant in itself, but where do you draw the line? Get this done then wait and see how much the next repair will cost? I've decided that this is it. I'll get the job done because I need to drive it until I find a replacement, but the hunt starts here. What to get? They still make Daihatsu Terios but the newer models are all ugly and blobby and aggressive looking, so I don't fancy it, but I still want 4 wheel drive, ideally a little hatchback. So what to get?
Over the years we have had a few Subaru Justys and one Fiat Panda 4x4. I loved the Justys but found the Panda more utility than comfort and its boot was so small it was almost useless. A friend told me yesterday that Suzuki Swifts were all 4 wheel drive and I actually rang a garage about one this morning, only to find they are not 4 wheel drive. The garage man advised me to look for a Suzuki X4, which he said was about the same size as a Ford Fiesta.
I've looked at the Suzuki X4 and find it's got a 1.6 engine. I don't know what size my present Terios is. If I am asked I just say 'I don't know but it's blue'. Secretly I think it's 1.2. I would be scared in a 1.6. Would that not make it guzzle fuel? It's an absolute 'must' that is economical to run. For many reasons I want petrol, not diesel and my friends also say that would be best for me. Some say that a heavy 1.2 car uses less fuel than a light 1.6 car. By that argument, does that mean the X4 would be economical? Independent advice is what I need. I know it would be in quite a high car tax category but if it was cheap to run I wouldn't mind so much. Grrr. Can anybody help?
By the way, I got my Garmin GPS thing going by accident. Plotted a route and followed it. Then two chappies I invited over for a meal - my hubby's colleague and his partner - really got into it and showed me properly. I feel really good about that gadget now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment