Friday, 18 May 2012
Fauna Friday; Willow warbler
The summer visitors are back. Since Bernard has had a lot to say about willow warblers lately I'll put a w.w. up today. They come all the way from Africa. I have noticed more w.w.'s this year than in the past. This one spent all afternoon in the garden on Sunday, singing in the trees. Then I noticed there were two! I hope they are a pair. Here is one in the ash tree.
[I don't want any 'it isn't a w.w'. rubbish. Its chin feathers are ruffled so that isn't a stripy marking. It is w.w.]
I believe they make nest just in holes or hollows in banks,, which are very vulnerable to cat attack. Oh dear. The swallows are back in the shed but they are behaving oddly. By this time last year I am sure mother was on the nest. This year are in and out of the shed all the time but never just sitting. Maybe they are just doing repairs before they start laying eggs. I wish they would get on with it. It worries me. It's not so wet now but it is very, very cold. Maybe they aren't getting enough insects to begin normal summer life.
Pony hoofs update - I got a farrier! He and his apprentice came on the day and time he said they would and they were brilliant. No fuss, they were quiet and quick and the ponies behaved impeccably. Success!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Glad you found a farrier and a good one to boot.
ReplyDeleteI wonder what is up with the swallows. Hope they settle down Ok. They produced two broods last year didn't they?
Cheers
Helsie: Yes, they did have two broods. Well the sun has arrived now and it's much warmer so maybe they will start sitting on some eggs soon, now they can be sure that it really isn't winter.
ReplyDeleteI had a quick peek in a conifir in our garden on Sunday and a bird flew out! I got such a fright, i hope she goes back to the tree as there afe 3 large eggs in there, i have been putting out seed round that area for here, and the 2 bird feeders are certainly busy with visitors, i had a look in the conifir that had the nest in it last year and I see they have dismantled it. Misn't nature wonderful. I hope the swallows have settled down now in the good weather.
ReplyDeleteCan't comment on ww's but I did find someone else who likes a 'Monday Moan'. In fact it looks as if she has posted 973 previous moans!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.wartimehousewife.com/2012/05/irritating-phrases-no-974/
Your favourite (POETS) day. Push off early, tomorrow's Saturday. :)
Cheers...B
Ann: I think she will go back. I know they hate disturbance but when you see these people on TV who go ringing birds in nests, they know what they are doing and the birds don't desert. I think you have to do worse than just one peek. I hope they do raise a family. Let me know. I think we thought ;last year they were dunnocks.
ReplyDeleteBernard: Oh, thanks. I do like a moan. Push off early? Hmph. If only.
The one in the front garden Foody is a blackbird. She hops about near the front door collecting food each night or at least almost everynight, i can see her as our kitchen door is opposite the front door with a clear view. There is also now a new nest in the first conifir from last year and they look like blue tits two of them hovering about, so i had a quick look and there is a nest there now. One day the old nest was away and now there is this one higher up.
ReplyDeleteOh, good. I'm glad you have two nests. I think we have some sparrows and some blue tits in the gardens.
ReplyDelete