Monday, 7 May 2012
Monday Moans: Loved ones
They are always saying on telly when there is a disaster of awful accident or something 'Our hearts go out to their loved ones' or things to that effect. The thing is, they don't mean their loved ones, they mean the ones who love them. Supposing I meet with a great mishap, it's like saying your hearts go out to the ones that I, Foody, love. But the ones I love (my loved ones) and the ones who love me are not necessarily the same. In the ideal world they would be, but this isn't that rosy little world. The ones to whom your hearts should go out are the ones that love me. The ones I love may be people who neither know nor even care that I love them. It's just a niggle, but the ones who will really be upset about me will be not the ones that I love and may not love me back, but the latter, the ones who love me. I may not even know they love me and will be upset. So the telly people should really be saying 'Our hearts go out to those who love(d) them'.
All a bit heavy and gloomy for a Monday morning, maybe, but Monday mornings are like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I guess they are just assuming it is a reciprocal thing.
ReplyDeleteHelsie: Yes, and I suppose it's just easier that way. After all, that is the way things ideally should be.
ReplyDelete