Wednesday, 2 May 2012

A food one: nettle soup



Thanks to Kath at Hillside House for prompting me to put nettles in soup.
I had bought cauliflower, leeks, onions and potatoes and on top I plonked a lot of nettles freshly gathered from the garden. Taking Kath's tip I snipped the leaves off the hairy stems and just boiled the lot. The taste? It's hard to describe but rather as you might expect nettles to taste. I don't mean it was horrible. It was quite a 'green' savoury taste. I forgot to add any stock or seasoning so just had the lot boiled and pureed. It was really very tasty.



I thought it might be nice with cheese and black pepper on top. I have loads left so will go off and experiment with seasoning and stock.

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading Kath's blog about nettle soup and once saw it on TV with Nick Nairn (??? Scottish bloke who cooks ?) but have to say it doesn't sound appealing.
    When you go out and gather wild stuff to eat we call it "bush tucker '
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: Oh yes, I've heard of bush tucker. The nettles were such a success I'm thinking of trying other things. I think I'll get a book. There's a lot more free grub out there than I know about.

    ReplyDelete