Thursday, 17 May 2012

Getting in training




I didn't do a 'Monday Moans' this week because a lot of my normal posts have been a bit moany lately.

Watch out! I'll be coming round with a sponsor form over the next few weeks because that long walk is coming up again on 23rd June. This time I'll do a longer section - 26 miles. I don't think I will ever do the whole 42 mile walk, not because I can't do 42 miles, but because you have to be there to start at 4am.! After last year's 16 miles I felt I could have turned round and walked all the way back again. However, this year I'm a little apprehensive. It's about 5 weeks to go and because of all the wet weather in winter and spring, I have hardly walked so I am rather out of condition. I'm doing some catching up by walking in the evenings down into the big deep, steep gorge just so that I have to make myself walk all the way back again. I've been doing about 4 miles, when I've been free to do it, and when I get home - in the half dark - I say to myself  'If today were the 23rd June you would have to turn round and do all that about 5 more times! And that prospect seems horrendous. Mind you, there is nothing on the big walk which is as arduous as that gorge.


Last time I went down to the bottom and along a bit, westwards (sun in my face, see?) After all the arduous near-vertical stuff, the gorge opens and flattens and there is a little self-built cottage. Looks so idyllic but it is in a very sunless spot which I would hate. I suspect it's one of those that just got built without the planners knowing. They wouldn't venture up here for no reason and just stumble on it..



Having reached the bottom, I climbed halfway up again, then continued west on a little level track along the side of the slope. Pictures blurrier as light was going and there were no handy fenceposts to use to steady the camera.

Along and along, then I plunged down again, walked further west then climbed all the way up again. Then walked eastwards back home. I wasout for 2 and a half hours. When I've meausred the distance I'll let you know how many miles it was. I got in at 9.45pm then I made a cake! (because I'm doing another Church walk and tea next month. I froze the cake. )

I'll be doing this sponsored walk for DEBRA again. I mentioned a little girl who died in November. That was the condition that she had. I knew her all her life.



Please dance sundances for me. I do not want to do it in the rain.

Oh, and for safety reasons I had better not take a stick with me!!!

4 comments:

  1. I shall cease my 'Rain dances' as from tonight. On the 23rd of June it will be sun dances - but only for one day as my new veggie patch loves a bit of rain. :)
    So good luck. I don't think you will need a stick - corn plasters might be a better idea. :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernard: Thanks. Maybe you could do us one of your excellent films of you doing your sun dances!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that last year you did well and weren't too taxed by the walk so you should be right. sounds like pretty rigorous training. Make sure you have company and yes, stay away from those sticks. You and sticks don't go well together from memory !!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helsie: It was fine last time but this year I'm doing 10 miles more. There will be about 500 others but they spread quite thinly across the route. So long as the weather is good I think it will be tremendous fun.

    ReplyDelete