Wednesday, 22 August 2012

A few Yorkshire views






There are so many things to show you - gardens, villages, impressive buildings, art, animals, food .... I thought I would start with some views of the countryside. This is north-ish east-ish Yorks. West of Bridlington, south of the North York Moors, north of York. Not really a big visitor hotspot, the Howardian Hills, but that's partly why we chose it. [Hubby isn't really up to hills any more so we can't pick areas that are too vertically challenging. I blame his past decades of smoking. Maybe I'll delete this bit soon. He probably wouldn't want me saying.] But we are just not used to seeing the patchwork arable scenery that prevails round there so it is really refreshing and interesting to us after our own area which is predominantly green pasture and bare upland.

The top, a view from Yorkshire Lavender farm at Terrington, which is the village where we stayed.


Above, 'himself' on Caulkleys Bank, north of the village of Nunnington. (I have slipped in the odd one or two of  'yours truly' in the past, so I feel I am allowed to show 'himself'. Do not be deceived by the fleece. It was hot. He is just one of those blokes who will not change clothes with the seasons. Drives me mad.


Above, Flamborough Head cliffs. We went to nearby Bempton Cliffs too, about which more later.

Above, looking towards Stonegrave ( morbid name!). I left hubby sitting in his folding chair on quite a few days when he didn't feel up to any more walking but I did. Stonegrave has a little minster, which was a surprise.

Above, Waterdale. The Yorks Wolds are almost flat and intensively cultivated, almost prairie-like and quite featureless. Atmospheric on a hot day with a heat haze but otherwise probably very, very tedious secenery, saved only by these intriguing and extraordinary steep, enclosed valleys which have no water in them. I think it's the chalk soil. It just drains clean away. This one was very near Thixendale, which I think is near where David Hockney's famous views of trees were painted. The sides are left uncultivated and are covered in wild grassland flowers.


And finally, a typical tree lined road. These reminded me of the Bakony hills in Hungary where loads of roads are tree-lined.

I do have views of Whitby, Helsie, but they are not on this camera and hubby is out at Folk Club. I'll put them on another time.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely Photos - the lavender especially must have been fantastic and those cliffs were great too. I don't blame the mister for planting himself in that lovely spot. The view was great. So you had good weather finally ???
    Hope all is well with the mister and he was just relaxing on his holiday when he wasn't walking with you?
    Looking forward to Whitby and all your other photos.
    We are feeling a bit hard doneby at the moment as lots of friends are off overseas but I am planning for a trip to southern and eastern France next year, perhaps in May, as long as the oldies are OK. It's a wonder there are any Aussies left in Australia at this time of year there is such an exodus to Europe ( too hot and too crowded at this time for me and it's nice and cool here at the moment ).
    Hope you feel rested and refreshed by your holiday. You sound good from your posts.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: We had great weather on holiday, better than they had back home. Having the odd hot day here but forecast awful for weekend.
    He did quite a lot of walks with me but he's not that well right now, although he is still happy and he enjoyed those times in his chair, reading, dozing and playing on his mobile phone, thanks.
    It was lovely and relaxing and refreshing but being back at work just STINKS and the benefit of a holiday just fades away so quickly.
    A trip to Europe next spring sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photographs Foody. Now............... I wonder how many caches are hidden throughout those pics ;-) bound to be 1.......or..........2 ...........or.............3. Probably a load.

    Oh Foody what a problem trying to put in the letters before posting, this is the eighth attempt grrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann: Well, well, there could well have been caches. I should have been looking out for them.
    Do you mean the word verification? I keep meaning to remove it but haven't got round to finding out how. I absolutely hate it and have to keep asking for new ones as they are often simply illegible.

    ReplyDelete