Thursday, 2 August 2012

Flora Fursday: Verge triumph!



I don't suppose I can really claim all the credit. It's probably more because of the weather, but the Council has left the verges alone this year, apart from on main roads. Even there, they have only cut half the width and only fully cut on visibility splays.  I was rather vociferous last year about their needless hacking and shaving of hedges and banks. However I knew that for every person like me who bemoans the cutting down of lovely growing things, there are about 10 more who lobby the Council to make things 'tidy'. I have actually emailed the Council to say how lovely it all looks and that visibility is not compromised. Well, you would have no problem seeing a car on this lane, would you? All this visibility health and safety stuff is just stuff and nonsense.




 In case it looks just like a load of grass, it's only because the grass is longer than the flowers. Look more closely down into it. Lady's bedstraw, tormentil, clover, ling (or heather? which?), thistle, eyebright, slender St. John's wort.  I only photographed the immediate bit between the house and the ponies, but elsewhere there are harebells/Scots bluebells and devil's bit scabious (or is it sheep's bit? I get them mixed up), foxgloves, yarrow, milkwort, birdsfoot trefoil and of course bilberries and many more I have forgotten to mention! I like the grass too - all these lovely shades of gold and pink from their seed heads.





I told the Council that they would still get complaints because I there is someone along the road who complains there is nowhere to walk on the verge when the vegetation is so long. His name is Motormouth. (Run indoors fast of you see him coming). Well, in that case, walk on the road, Motormouth! The verge is too narrow or steep anyway to walk on. If a car comes, he'll just have to squeeze onto the verge.  Motormouth does own a pair of wellies.

2 comments:

  1. well done you! They are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: Well, I can't take all the credit. It's probbaly because of the rain that they just didn't get round to us. I am fully expecting to come back from hols and find all the verges butchered in the usual way. Ther eare much prettier ones. Just round here they are not nearly as flowery as in other places. Partly because of decades nay centuries of marauding sheep.

    ReplyDelete