Friday, 21 September 2012

Fauna Friday: The Koala Brothers



One thing we sometimes do on holidays is watch cartoons on telly whilst finishing breakfast. This one was one of favourites - probably THE favourite. Those cute little koalas in the Australian outback were always on hand to give practical help with any problems in their village. Off they would fly in their plane, always knocking down their letterbox as they took off, and bring a solution. Everybody was always very happy in the end. It was so sweet.

PLOPS UPDATE: Do you remember in the spring I put a photo of some droppings and holes and wondered what had done them? Well they took a break for the summer, but now they have been back. Great big sloppy, brown soupy dollops sometimes, coupled with stiff dark black sausagey ones made up entirely of fruit seeds. I emailed photos to the a conservation organisation and they have told me they think they are badger latrines, marking the boundaries of territory. That's what I hoped they might be. Well I don't want to sit up there in the middle of the night watching but I would love to see them. I wonder if I could get a cordless movement sensitive camera (for not much money?!) Bet it would just keep getting photos of local cats and slugs though.

4 comments:

  1. Firstly I have never heard of or seen your cartoon koalas! How amazing is that?
    And secondly... Badgers! How terrific! I would love to see them in the wild too... as long as they don't start damaging your garden. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: I thought you were gong to come along and say you knew them well. They have a website and I'm sure there are some episodes on there that you could watch.
    Heck, I never thought of the garden. If the latrine is a territorial mark, then hopefully that is on the limit of their territory, but it is only a very short walk away from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I haven't heard of the koalas either, my favourite cartoon is The Flintstones, love all the inventions they have. Wow badgers, apparently there are otters in the river
    Ayr, others have spotted them playing, but so far we haven't seen them. Yes I hope the badgers keep well away from your garden Foody. We are bird spotting in our garden, we have a few bird feeders about in the trees, but for some reason they only seem to like a particular tree! If I dot the feeders about the garden then they leave them alone but at 'their' tree they eat from it no bother, just trying to keep the pigeons off of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann: Have a look at the listing for morning kids' TV and they'll be there.
    I hope you see lots of cute birdies as the autumn and winter go on.
    I've only once seen a live otter, in the dark. Would love to see more but they are very shy, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete