Saturday, 1 September 2012

I'll try again. Yorkshire: the built environment

Pics working again!!!

This is mainly a pictorial post showing some of the lovely built places we visited.


York Minster



The village of Terrington, where we stayed. All the villages had open greens fronting the houses. They were all of a lovely mellow stone colour with red pantile roofs.


Himself outside our cottage


Ampleforth Abbey, a Benedictine monastery


The village of Nunnington and our favourite pub, the Royal Oak


Inside Castle Howard

Outside Castle Howard. The last time Brideshead Revisited was on telly, it was filmed here.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely pics. I like York, it was there that I was introduced to geocaching by friends whom we meet up with every year,. Last year it was Lincoln where they live, this year it is Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Howard Castle I'd love to go there. I've seen it on Bargain Hunt on TV and it looks lovely.
    When we visited York Minster it was completely empty and that made me not like it much. Such a huge place and nothing inside. I like to see these places being used as churches still as well as for other purposes but I guess they may just have been changing it around or something that day.
    Your cottage looked nice and what a lovely sunny spot to sit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann: Oooh Durham is very nice. I hope you have a good time.

    Helsie: I thought of you almost all the time I was there. I knew it was somewhere you would love. The gardens are lovely too.
    Funny that about the minster. Maybe they were moving the seats around for something. When we were there the choir were having a practice and we listened for a while. It was beautiful.
    We didn't use the cottage courtyard as we usually went out all day every day. It was nice for those in between afternoon and evening times when you want a little cuppa or sometimes an ombra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent photography Foody. You are certainly getting good results from your new camera.
    Is it a heavy one to 'cart' around?
    That photo of Ampleforth Abbey doesn't look real. I mean the Abbey looks polished and clean as if it had just been restored.
    I like the teapot and one cup!
    Has 'Hub' got a glass of Yorkshire Bitter hidden on the other side? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernard: Nope, not heavy at all. Thanks for the comments.
    The abbey may have been recently cleaned because it was exactly as it looks there and it was real. Maybe it's the slanty sun and dark clouds.
    Hmmm... you're right about the cup. Maybe his is hidden behind the pot. It isn't on the ground, is it? No.
    I don't think he had beer then as we hadn't been shopping yet. Had only arrived 5 minutes before. How very observant of you!

    ReplyDelete