As I whizzed between the south east and the south west the other week, this was one of the places I stopped in between: Linlithgow. A really nice place with a palace soaring high about a lake, which had a path all the way round it. Every few yards there was a coot's nest. Like Annecy but not as spectacular. Like Annecy it had some modern blocks of flats near the lake which I felt spoilt things just a bit.
It was one of the first places Sally took us when she was living in Edinburgh. Very lovely indeed.
ReplyDeleteAnnecy has its old town which is lovely but the whole place has a modern feel despite its age. Even so the modern buildings are on the whole quite nice and mostly keep to the style of the area. It is very much a holiday town.
It sounds as if it isn't too spoiled. I know what you mean. I often feel that may French towns are a bit sanitized, but when I think of all the horrible insensitive 'developments' we have done in our loveliest and oldest towns in Britain, I always think the old continental towns have fared much better.
ReplyDelete