Saturday, 4 May 2013

Friends far away



As you know, I took to the road last week. Here's a view from seaside town I detoured to en route to Glasgow. You have seen this place before, on someone else's blog.


Here's another view of its beach with the beautiful Isle of Arran across the sea. Arran is where as a child I started getting into ponies, because we went on two pony trekking holidays there.


This is a pleasant part of town. Nice terraces and trees and St. John's Tower. I had just been shouted at for looking warily at a cyclist who was speeding towards me. He told me there was a perfectly good pavement for pedestrians. Apparently I was walking on the cycle path. Well I didn't know! I had never set foot in the place before and was looking at the sea, not signposts! Hmph.
This is a very pleasant town, with sandstone buildings of a nice warm brown colour and lots of nice twisty little streets with independent shops. It has a very pleasant air about it. Ha ha. 'Air', I said.


Let's go upriver now. I walked to town and back by the river and saw ever so many different birds. Herons, mute swans, mallards, tree creeper, a pair of bullfinches, pied wagtails and.... a kingfisher! Oh yes. On an overhanging branch, upstream from the University but just downstream from a little beachy bit where people were sitting. In case you want to go and spend a while watching for it.



A bit further up and you can pop out through a gap in the wall and walk up the road a little. Oh look, there's a nice house. Wonder who lives there?


This is the guest bedroom. Most comfortable, with a lovely ensuite bathroom. All very up-to-the-minute and fresh and of exquisite good taste.


I really recommend this place. They do a fantastic breakfast  - square sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, egg. No baked beans. Good. I like beans but not drowning my breakfast, thank you very much. Jam, home-made marmalade and toast with home-made bread. The goods! And the lady of the house makes good tablet. That's it in that little plastic bag. So who lives here? I think you've guessed....


Ta daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ann, could you please track down that cyclist and sort him out for me? Give him a piece of my mind. A slice of tongue pie.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely write up on our little B&B and Ayr, it is a lovely walk along the river Ayr and also the beach front, but how rude of the cyclist!! grrrr to him. Lovely to meet you and you had good weather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann: It was great to meet you and that day was so perfectly sunny for my photos. Thanks again. Fab breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helsie: Oooh, I know you did. I heard from a little bird, you clever so and so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your picture story about another regular to Major's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, jc. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete