We went to see the film War Horse last night. It was very enjoyable and full of suspense, action, emotion with beautiful scenery (except for the battlefields). You could see how it was aimed at a younger audience. It could be over sentimental, a bit corny at times, even not at all credible in places but it was a lovely heart-wrenching, heart-warming story.
We loved it too... and wasn't the English village lovely. It was filmed in Castle Combe which is at the south end of the Cotswolds not far from Bath and worth a visit if you are down that way.
ReplyDeleteA children's story for grownups.
Heslie: Ah.... I knew it wasn't Devon from the light gold limestone in the village. I thought 'Cotswolds' then when I saw the little bridge I thought I had seen that scene before in the Wiltshire section of a cute villages book. I agree with that: a children's story for grown ups.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, have you seen a new Aussie film called "Red Dog"? Once again a kids story for grownups based on fact. It doesn't do much for our image as everyone seems to think of Australia the way it is portrayed in films about the outback. Just remember it is set in the 70s in the remote North of Western Australia and all of Australia is not like that!!
DeleteHelsie: I have never heard of the film, but thinking about it, I am sure I started reading the book. I picked it up in a 2nd hand shop, not in the children's section, but when I started reading it I just couldn't get into it at all. I can't remember why. Maybe just nothing was happening. I think I thought to myself 'This is a kids' book' and I think I took it to a charity shop. I'll have a look in the house in case I still have it.
ReplyDeleteIt's OK, I know you don't all live on vast lonely farms in the outback.