Monday, 27 February 2012
Suffering for one's art
Now, if they had just let me spring up quickly as I normally would, I would not have pulled this muscle in my thigh, but I was told to act unfit and infirm, make a big meal of it, get squashed by a fellow fairy in the process, flail around then get hauled up onto my feet.
'We are dainty little fairies'. Except when we are not. How do you put on a production of Iolanthe with a female chorus whose age range is 17 to 77? The usual director would have set lots of 'never ceasing motion' for the active ones and let the less mobile ones shuffle around slowly, but this unfamiliar director wants us all doing the same thing ie all go at the pace of the slowest. I have to say I am quite disappointed because I like 'tripping hither, tripping thither' but we hardly get to do it. To save us doing too much standing he has set a scene where we all sit on the floor and move our feet around to the music, then we have to get up in as ungainly a fashion as possible. Well now by doing that I really have made myself infirm so I won't even have to pretend. I just hope I don't make it worse. Must get some 'Deep Heat' or something less smelly. I'm keeping the sore bit warm all the time, which seems to help.
Blow the trumpet, bang the brasses, flap the bingo wings!
Ah well, it'll be a different 'Iolanthe' from what people would normally expect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"We can ride on lovers' sighs,
ReplyDeleteWarm ourselves, and aching thighs!"
Are you a 'special' fairy?
Celia, Leila or Fleta?
You are right, sitting down faries does not seem quite right. :(
Hope you recover in time, I've forgotten when you said it was on.
All the best...
"In for a penny, in for a pound."
as they say. :)
Well despite all that , it sounds like fun. Is this in your local village? You're lucky to have enough good singers for such a production.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Bernard: I'd have liked to have been Leila and I heard it was a very close thing, but they wanted the three to 'match' and I was too small compared to the others they had chosen although I feel I could give them all a run for their money.
ReplyDeleteIt's on at the end of next month.
Helsie: Not in the village, no. Not enough people there let alone singers. The society is in a nearby town. People come from quite a wide area of Foodyland to be there.
I wonder if you have seen this rescue?
ReplyDeleteHelen may know about it as it's in Melbourne.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107521/Bravery-young-mother-stayed-horses-hours-getting-trapped-mud-like-quicksand.html?ICO=most_read_module
Bernard: No, I hadn't seen it, but I have now. What a frightful experience. I really felt for the owner.
ReplyDeleteYou could see the anguish in her face.
ReplyDeleteI like a happy ending. :)
Bernard: Oh, yes and oh, yes. :)
ReplyDelete