Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Town Piano

 Somewhere away beyond the periphery of Foodyland proper, I work in a little town whose town council which wants to put a public piano under the town clock. (that isn't it in the pic) Not living there, I don't really hear much about it, but it seems they will lock it up inside some sort of a cabinet at night.
I think it's a great idea but it's alright for me as my office is probably just out of hearing range and I don't live anywhere where I can hear the sound out of working hours. The local rag headline said there was an ongoing row about it. I don't know what the row is about but there are always 'those for' and 'those against' anything. If our office was any nearer then I would be worried about having it going all day.
My only concern is that I know one or two people who just love the sound of their own hands/voices and once they know there's a piano they can use free, they will spend all of their spare time giving impromtu performances of the 'Me Show'.
I go and practise singing and violin sometimes at lunchtime (a colleague plays for me) and I am expected to make a small donation to the little Arts Gallery whose piano it is. Will I just go out under the clock and use the free public piano instead? No way!But I do think that they are great things for towns. I hope it won't just get bashed up.
Would you like your local town to have a public piano? Maybe it already has one you can tell us about.

2 comments:

  1. I did a blog on something like this when Boris tried it in London. I agree, it is probably ok in a large city or town.
    It always seems a bit strange to me how buskers are always getting 'moved on' or in some cases being prosecuted for playing without a licence - and then - they go and provide an instrument for Joe Public to commit an offence?
    Shops around here, including charity shops have all been silenced (not allowed to play music - CD/tapes), as they need a licence from the 'performing rights' police!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah.... I thought I remembered a post of your about outside pianos. Yes, you have a point there, Bernard. Very contradictory.
    This is a teeny weeny town. Just a 'T' junction really. I'll let you know what happens.

    ReplyDelete