Friday, 29 June 2012
Fauna Friday: Hopeful signs from the swallows' nest
A few weeks ago we returned from a day out and heard lots of loud chattering coming from the shed. It was dusk but we had a peep through the hinge and could see two swallows in there, very active. 'Oooh, maybe she's found a mate and they're doing the business!' we said to each other. But weeks went by and she seemed still to be on her own all the time, so I concluded maybe they were fighting.
However, for at least the last 2 weeks I have seen her sitting on her nest constantly and I have seen a male flying in and out, so without wanting to speak too soon I am hopeful that she is sitting on eggs and he is feeding her. They should be due to hatch in maybe another week.
I am so glad, if that's the case. I'd hate to think of her coming all the way from Africa and going all the way back not having shared the time with a mate and raised some young. At least she will have achieved what she is supposed to achieve and not been lonely. (There I go again, attributing human emotions to animals, but it's hard not to).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awwww that is lovely, hope all goes well with the swallows. A few weeks ago we looked in a conifir tree in the garden and the little birds were dead! Such a shame. But that's nature i suppose, hopefully the mother will return next year.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ann. I do hope so too. They are getting such terrible weather I hope they can find enough insects to feed a family.
ReplyDeleteI'm very sorry to hear of the poor little birdies in your conifer.