Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Nauseated by Nigella

I have just got back in from visiting hubby in hospital. He was rung up on Monday and asked to go in. It is a relief as we were both starting to worry about whether he was really well enough to be at home. I didn't come to Blogland much these last few days because of the worry of it all and he was pretty downcast too. I'm still worried about his condition of course but as he's better off where he is and he seemed happier today, I have relaxed a little. He'll be there for a few days at least. I go to see him after work and usually have a little lukewarm meal in the hospital canteen, so when I get in at about 9 I don't have to cook.
When I got in tonight I thought I would chill and try this Nigella programme which I recorded but I find her so nauseating, I am answering her back all the time and making uncharitable comments throughout. The drooling, the sideways glances, the pretentious language, the emphasis on her voluptuousness ... I'm sorry. It's not that I'm jealous because I wish I looked like her. (She's put on weight, hasn't she? MEE-AOW! Claws in, Foody!) She is better looking than me, I admit, but I'm not bothered. I don't want to attract attention, which I would if I looked like her. And I certainly wouldn't want to talk like her. I think I just find her so false. It's not all her fault, I don't think. Much of it is the way the producers tell her to be, but at the same time I think she likes it and likes playing up. It's a man's programme really, except that most men don't want to watch pretentious cooking. It doesn't seem to fit into any proper slot, come to think of it. Anyway I don't think I want to watch any more. Well, I don't want to make choc cake with olive oil or pasta with smoked mackerel, capers, sultanas and fennel, do I? Yuch! What a ghastly combination.
Reach for the remote, find the OFF button. ZAP! Goodbye, Nigella!



to wach any more.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Foody you really crack me up. We find her quite amusing... but we NEVER cook her recipes.
    Love to Mr Foody
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: Oooh, I feel guilty for this post and being so critical of someone. She would probably hate my little foody ways if she ever met me.
    Thanks for your wishes for Mr. Foody. I'll tell him when I see him tonight.
    Now it's cuppa time. I go to the office kitchen. Will I pick a hand crafted Belgian praline petit four made with apellation controlee cocoa beans topped with sun dried blinkin' apricots and pecans harvested by trained coatis whose little claws have been dusted with the tail feathers of hummingbirds or will I just have a 'Savers' custard cream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard on Radio 4 'Woman's Hour' yesterday that the term 'Foody/Foodie' originated as a new 'sex-word favoured-art-form' in a 1982 edition of Harpers & Queen Funnily enough I thought of you when I heard it and ... low and behold here you have an article on Nigella. Hmmmm - maybe you may have more in common with Nigella than you'd imagine (I'm trying to appeal to your sense of humour here).

    I've mixed feelings about Nigella, Foody. I think I accept her flirtatiousness as being part of the act she uses to 'sell' her programme, because her recipes can be a wee over-the-top (I just hope she doesn't over-do the food-sex-goddess bit though, because she's on a fine line at the moment). However, I think given her father's Chancellor position, and her mother's Socialite position, some of their guff must have rubbed off on her and she genuinely can't help the way she is (if it's a fault).

    I can tell she gets on your nerves though - it must be the way you related the story (hehehe). Freedon of expression is GOOD.

    Sorry to hear about hubby - it's worrying and I'm sure you spend your day answering text, emails, phone calls relating how he is - leaving you quite exhausted and sometimes even more worried. Hope he's showing signs of improvement.

    Incidentally - thank you for subscribing to my blog - I noticed it quite by chance this morning - took my blinkers off for once. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Foody, i am so sorry your hubby is in hospital. We are just back from 5 nights away in England, so i am catching up on blogland. Sending good wishes to your hubby for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs S: Thanks, Mrs. S. I feel that even Nigella's flirtatiousness is contrived. She doesn't even look like a natural flirter. It's as if everything about her is false.
    Thanks for your thoughts on hubby. He isn't getting better but as we don't yet know what's wrong with him there's no treatment started yet. Biospy results anxiously awaited. Probably due on Thursday. In the meantime he develops other little complications. They're talking of allowing him home for a while, maybe tomorrow. He will love being home and I will love having him back but the thought of no longer having 24/7 care right on hand scares me.

    Ann: Thank you for your kind thoughts. Which bit of that place were you in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in Durham for 2 nights meeting up with friends who live in Lincoln and are caravanners so they were in their caravan and we were in a B&B, we meet up once a year and in a city with a cathedral where we meet at the door of the cathedral. We managed geocaching done and then to Leics to visit our older daughter son in law and granddaughters, the weather was kind to us.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, lovely. I can remember meeting someone in the cloister of Durham cathedral some years ago. Lovely city, as the smaller cathedral cities usually are.

    ReplyDelete