Friday, 16 March 2012

Fauna Friday: Ciao!


'Ciao' in the sense of 'Goodbye'. Goodbye to the fieldfares that were overwintering here. I last saw them a week ago Sunday, a big flock of about 150 of them I would guess. They walk around on the fields, stabbing at the grass and they also feed in trees with berries, such as hawthorn. They love orchards, of which there are none hereabouts. They are quite squabbly birds, often seen having little scraps. I think they come from Scandinavia, where they breed in the summer. Some have been reported to stay in the coldest parts of the Highlands all year now.

Well I shall look forward to their return in the autumn, but now I am expecting to see the wheatears back any day.

5 comments:

  1. Tell me Foody, is the wall where the birds make their mud nests still there? I can't remember the details but perhaps it was a creek bank or something. I seem to remember it was not too far from your place? It sounds like Spring is underway everywhere over there so your tennants in the shed should be there soon too.
    Still 29C in the day here but dropping down to 18-20C at nightwhich is a good sign. Hurry up Winter !!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's still there. They just nest between the stones, using no mud. The birds that come it ar ethe wheatears, usually one of the earliest arrivals.
    Yes, I can't wait for the swallows to return to the shed. I must remember to tie the wndow back for them.
    Your weather sounds like just what I feel I need right now! Hurry up, summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to like seeing the Fieldfares when I lived in a previous house fairly high up a hill. Since moving down into the village I no longer see them. Your post reminded me of thoses times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi jc. I'm glad to bring back nice memories. It's a shame they don't come to your village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played the organ in the Fair-field last year! :)
    But wouldn't know a Fieldfare if it landed on my shoulder! :(

    ReplyDelete