Friday, 23 March 2012

Fauna Friday: Who dug those holes?


It was going to be a pony post but for a long time I have been meaning to mention these mysterious holes which appeared in the verge a few weeks ago. They all appeared overnight. Obviously they are dug by an animal and not by a person with tools. But a few weeks after they had first appeared, I started noticing that something (or somebody??!!) dumps a dollop of sloppy excretion beside two of the holes. Every morning there is a fresh dump beside two of the holes, on top of the dump from the morning before. I've put a stick down a couple of the holes and it will go in more than a foot. Probably there are twists and turns which take the tunnel further on. I daren't put my hand in, in case it meets with sharp teeth (or more dollops!)



I haven't put close-ups of the dollops. Thought it might be a bit distasteful.  I'm sure you get the idea. I'm thinking of sending photos to the local wildlife group to see if they have any ideas.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much dear friend for all your kind wishes. Things here have greatly improved and Dad has bounced back amazingly well. I'm sure is more ahead as he is 90 after all but for now all is well.
    Now about those holes.... how interesting! Have you found the answer yet? I'm very intreagued to know what animal it is. I think a bit of poo investigating is on the cards . What fun!! Be sure to take photos of it as I'm told it is a great help !!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: That is fantastic news about your Dad. I hope he continues to stay well.
    I still don't know whose holes they are. I'm not sure if I'm really going to send photos of the dollops to the wildlife organisation. What if they think I'm mad? I've already reported two sightings of a pine marten but on one occasion it wasn't, it was a polecat. I think they think I'm a loony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say Foody!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pine Marten? That must be one of your clues in the 'Easter Foody Hunt'. Everybody around here are organising 'Easter Egg Hunts'. Well the National Trusts are. A time for me to stay well away. On seeing holes like that, I assume rabbits trying to get under the wire, but that wire mesh looks quite large. Rule out stoats, weasels and mink. Then rabbits - so you are left with a badger trying to escape from the cull. That's it! Word has got around that badgers are safe in Foodyland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernard: I don't think it's rabbits. We hardly have any here and I don't think they would be burrowing so close to the road. The droppings are definitely not rabbit ones. I thought a badger might try to find a walk-in entrance, such as the gate.
    I'll definitely avoid any 'visitor attractions' this Easter where egg huuntsmight be going on.

    Helsie: I'll leave the pound I think.

    ReplyDelete