Friday, 9 March 2012

Fauna Friday: Quasar and Skylark


Here is a photo in which you can just about make out Quasar and Skylark in their field, looking across from the wintry garden. It was deliberate that I didn't zoom in on them. The one on the left is Skylark and the one on the right, sitting down, is Quasar. It's not because of any visible difference that I can tell from that distance, and if I hadn't been in the garden a few minutes earlier to turn the washing, I would have assumed it was the other way round.

Whenever Skylark sits or lies down, Quasar stays within a few feet of him. Whenever Quasar sits down, Skylark just wanders all over the field, ignoring her. Quasar is his Mum, you see, and she takes a protective stance when he is off his feet. He doesn't have the same instinct about her. I would normally have assumed that the sitter in the picture was Skylark because of the proximity of the other pony, but a few minutes earlier, Skylark was away at the far end of the field. When I got back with the camera, he had moved closer.

'Scuse my washing! And I say 'wintry' but there are some fat buds in the foreground. Ithink that would be the elder tree. Daff spikes are showing, and getting taller every day.

3 comments:

  1. Lol at first I thought your washing Watson a hedge drying. I see the horses :-) awwwww lovely. Thank you for my birthday wishes, it is actually today.
    Lots of lovely cards and presents. My daughter "sees" me in my young photo as well lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "turning the washing"??? I gather you mean so each side gets to face the sun? Can't say I've ever heard of that but then here we try to only leave our washing out for a short time so everything doesn't get all faded by the sun! My friend has put shadecloth all over the top of her clothes line so it is sort of like an umbrella to save her clothes!
    Good to see the ponies are fine. Are you doing much riding?
    Your place looks very wintery still but from what I've heard you have had some warmer weather haven't you so daffs and blossoms should be happening soon.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann: I hope you had a really nice birthday. Hedge too thorny to put clothes on it.

    Helsie:The bit that is folded over the line stays damp unless it's a very warm day, so I like to turn it around (and in the case of trousers upside down cos of thick wasitbands) at some point so it all gets the air at it. Your problems are the exact opposite.
    Riding? I wish. Well, I've hardly been since before Christmas. Rain, rain, rain in Dec and Jan. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse in Jan, Feb and March! If I had known the commitment would be this much I might not have done the show this year. I'm not that happy with so much weekend time away from the house but it's only for another 3 weeks now. I still adore them and feed and stroke them every day but no, I'm not getting so much quality time with them as I would like.

    ReplyDelete