Friday, 13 April 2012

Fauna Friday: Ponies and birds


This little fellow returned to the village this week - a willow warbler. This isn't my picture, but I do have one of my own. It's just not on this computer.
It has just flown all the way from Africa. I scan the skies for swalows every day but haven't seen any yet.

Every morning when I go to the ponies there are sometimes two jackdaws sitting on the back of each pony, picking out loose hair for nests. I never have my camera, but even if I did, they would fly away too quickly.

Chocolate and jelly birds - all from last week have been eaten except for the iced ginger chicken biscuit and two of the 3-pack of cheeky chicks. All was very tasty. Oh, I haven't eaten the toy eyes though.
When you eat a chocolate hen or Santa or rabbit, do you eat the head or the tail/feet first? I think I am usually inclined to save the head until last, but with the white chocolate chicken it was its head that I bit off first, with great satisfaction.

7 comments:

  1. Re *shouting Bernard*. That is me calling him lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah all the tiny chirpy birds are returning. I love the sound of them chirping away over there. Surely your swallows will be back soon, Spring is well underway. Did you have the recent freezing spell after the lovely weather you had earlier? Still 25 C in the daytime here but cooler nights and mornings thank goodness
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha,ha! I expect every small child, me included, would bite the head off a jelly-baby first. The sad truth is that recently, someone got 'reported' (I don't know the outcome), for biting the head off a black jelly-baby! No crime you may think? But this was noticed by a 'dark skinned' person, who reported them!
    "Fings ain't wot they used to be".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see form one of the blogs I follow that a couple of swallows have arrived at her farm in the Yorkshire Dales so yours must not be far away. There are always so many birds around us here we never notice if they come and go. I don't think they do as there is no real reason for them to leave weather wize.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann: Ha ha ha! Good on you!

    Hesie: I saw one swallow on Monday about 10 miles away and seven on Sunday about one mile away. I keep scanning the skies.
    Yes, we had the hot then the cold. Still cold.

    Bernard: That is madness. We eat the heads off all the colours of jelly babies, not just black ones! It isn't prejudice. I suppose they will just have to stop making black ones. And green ones because when they get bitten that's prejudice against Martians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it is against the law if it causes 'distress' or if they 'offended'.
      In 1986 the then Conservative Government produced a new public order act which includes a section (S4A) prohibiting behaviour which has the 'intent to cause harassment, alarm or distress'. This section has been increasingly used by the police to prohibit all kinds of conduct not in itself forbidden by law. For example, wearing a T-shirt with a slogan that might 'distress' someone.
      I suppose they would have to prove that you 'intended' to cause distress by biting its head off! :O

      Delete
  6. Bernard: Is that so? Well, I have never looked into it. I have a feeling there are other statutes that wouuld cover my offence.

    ReplyDelete