Tuesday, 20 November 2012

A day out


We had a lovely day out on Thursday to one of the places which have become very special over the years and to which we return whenever we can, even though that may not even be once a year. There is a little church with an orchard in front of it and a little bench which gives you a fantastic view down the avenue which leads to the church. At this time of year the beech trees on the drive are spectacular. The orchard was full of squabbling fieldfares.


This is looking back from the avenue to the church and bench. Blue car just in the left of the pic is ours.


Many cups of tea we have drunk on that bench (the bench the cat was photographed on for my Friday post), from flasks, and many little cakes we have eaten, many little chats we have shared and many contented silences. It was a very emotional little sit-down on Thursday, I can tell you. The tree above the bench looks as if it is loaded with berries. Hawthorn, perhaps?


Nope. Look again. These pink things are actually flowers. In November. This is a spindle tree. I think they call it that because the branches used to commonly be used to make spindles. Strange because these ones didn't look that straight to me.




Hmmmm... I need a tripod. I wanted to show how each flower is shaped like four little hard balloons/pouches in one.As they open out there is a yellow centre. I think I  might like to get a spindle tree for the garden one day. I suppose I could come back and get a seed from it to plant but how old would I be before it was mature?






3 comments:

  1. What a lovely area Foody. It reminds me of the church we were married in, way out in the country, a church a pub and very few houses in the area. In fact I used to go to the sunday school there when I came up from England on holiday, my grandfather was an elder in the church for forty years. Oh bless you both on your walk down memory lane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your eyes open for a delivery in the not too distant future - hopefully early next week.
    Can't remember if I commented last night when I came home from the hospital where Dad seems to be doing well after the implantation of the new aortic valve. If I have, excuse the poor memory but if I haven't I just love your little church and bench under the tree. I think a Spindle Tree sounds great to brighten your November garden and a little bench under it would be lovely in years to come.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann: it is a lovely area and one we love to return to again and again. We hope to have some more such trips when he feels well enough.

    Helsie: Oh, you kind thing. Thank you. I am so glad your Dad is doing well so far. I looked through your blog to see what it was that was the problem with him but I couldn't find it. It's a worry when someone has an op at that advanced age. Well done him.
    I too have memory problems. Alzheimer's runs in my family!

    ReplyDelete