Friday, 2 November 2012
Fauna Friday: Owl in the city
Another owl in York. I've forgotten which type. Maybe a tawny.
The old cliche of an owl saying 'towit towoo' is partially true. The female tawny own says 'kee-wik!' and the male answers 'hoo hoo hoo hooooo!' so it's the call of a pair of owls.
Update on hubby if you haven't seen my comment added to the previous post: I'm very sorry to say he has months, not years. I rang the consultant myself, because I needed to know - do I stop work? Do we need advice about his pension? I have taken time off. It was too hard being at work, stressing about him while he was here alone, feeling fragile and afraid. I don't think he realises how close he is. We went to his office tonight to clear his drawers and remove computer files and he said that in the fullness of time he will gradually sort them all out. I feel it's kinder to just let him think like this than deliver a blow. Or is he just shielding me? Do we both know and think the other doesn't? I prefer it this way, just ticking along looking after each other.
However, life is full of stories of people being told they have months and going on and on for years. We must stay strong and mustn't lose hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Foody, this news gets sadder and sadder.I think you've done the right thing by taking time off work to be with him. It's a pity you are heading into the cold part of the year when warm, dry weather would probably be the best for him. I guess you'll just have to hunker down ( is hunker a word ?)- you get my drift- in your cosy nest and cook nice things for him to eat and just be together. Do you have an indefinite time off work? Oh dear!
ReplyDeleteHugs from both of us
Helsie: Indeed it gets sadder. The cold will make him even more breathless, if that's possible, because it was having that effect in 2009/10 and he did nothing about it.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think 'hunker' is or could be a word.
I can take as long as I want off but without pay of course. They have kindly given me 2 weeks paid which they don't have to do. I will think carefully and take advice but there's no way I can go back to work and leave him unless he improves, which isn't very likely.
Thank you for the hugs.
Meanwhile my mind races ahead and thinks of what on earth I am going to do when what I know is inevitable happens.