A kind friend sort of heard me say how much I liked spindle trees and do you know what - she doesn't live locally so she had one sent to me! Now, that was kind, wasn't it?
It was late on Friday afternoon and I had one of those phone calls that ask 'Is that Foody from Foody House?' so I said ' .....Hmmm..... Can you please tell me who you are and why you want to know?' Then the man said he was a courier trying to find the house. I felt so embarrassed but we have had lots of calls from call centres saying they are from our bank and just asking for dates of birth. He was nice about it and we had a laugh on the doorstep then he handed me this tall box which said 'Live Plants' on it. How intriguing.
Yesterday I went out and planted it but first I transplanted a viburnum from the spot because the spindle tree will grow bigger than the viburnum and would hide it in years to come. Hubby and I used to be members of an organisation called the BTCV - the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers- in fact that's how we met - and we learned a lot from them about planting and other woodland skills, which we still put to use. I just hope I haven't killed the viburnum. I may not have got all its roots up so I hope I didn't leave too much of them behind in the old hole. I hope it stays alive. Time will tell.



A whole new meaning to 'Interflora'.
ReplyDeleteI actually prefer the idea of sending/receiving living plants. :)
Cut flowers are so short lived.
Can't stop, I must get down to the PO before they close. ;)
Cheers...B
I know what you mean, although I must say I really do like getting cut flowers too. I have a hubby who has never, ever bought me flowers so they're always a big treat.
ReplyDeleteQueue...Neil Diamond & "You don't bring me flowers a.....ny moooore."
ReplyDeleteBut you see, maybe us men would rather see flowers growing where they should be...in our gardens? Actually....I was going to send you some but...wasn't sure? Now I know you like them......Ha,ha!
On second thoughts, I may send a wee Birthday present instead. :)
Nice to see it in its new home. It's a spindly little thing isn't it but I guess that's what you expect in Winter . Hope it isn't too cold to plant new things at this time of year and it survives.
ReplyDeleteglad to see you haven't been washed away with all the rain you've been having over there.
Hope hubby is over the worst bit after the chemo and on the improve for the weekend.
Cheers
how lovely Foody….I think I know who it was you are talking about……….just by reading your blog the other day. But then knowing me I am probably wrong :-)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your tree (s) I was sent an olive tree a couple of years ago from our daughters for my birthday, it is quite big now in its pot and has been repotted a couple of times, at the moment it is in the greenhouse (unheated) with 2 garden fleeces over it, last year when we were in Australia at this time, I put it in the garage but it is a north facing window in there but again I covered it up, it was one of the first things I checked on when we got home it was fine. It spent the summer (!) in the south/west facing garden. x
Bernard: Nobody in this house minds what you send! You are very funny Ha Ha with your songs. Nope, I think he just never gives me flowers because it has just never occurred to him. Not the romantic type, but never mind. I wouldn't change him.
ReplyDeleteHelsie: It's about 2 feet. Spindly little thing indeed. This time of year is exactly right for planting trees, when they are dormant. I didn't choose a frosty day but it has been frosty every day since. This week has been drier (dryer?). No floods in Foodyland.
Hubby has taken a dive but at about Day 10 this is expected. It's day 12 now. He's pretty awful. Hope he'll pick up soon. Thanks for the thoughts.
Ann: I think you guessed right. An olive tree in Ayr? Well well. You are obviously doing the right thing with it. I hate olives but I do like the silvery grey trees.