Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Friends and cakes



People who have been through times such as my recent events always tell me that seeing people and keeping busy are the key. I so agree and this is how I have been spending some of my time while I am still off work. A friend rang last Monday and said she would like to call and see me, so off I went down the garage shop for some baking supplies and I made some little chocolate cakes. When friend Val turned up she brought with her some fairy cakes of her own and some daffodils, so we had a bit of a cake-fest.

Another friend Joanne invited me for my tea last Tuesday night so I took some of the chocolate cakes to her. I had two more friends here last night and gave them, among other tasty savoury things, apple pie for pud and some of the choccy cakes. They brought me a big lemon cake which we didn't start, and half the apple pie is also in the fridge. I'll have to get on the phone and ask more people round.

In this village there are four of us ladies who now meet regularly: A lady who was widowed a few years ago (by cancer too), a farmer lady whose husband has recently left her, one lonely lady whose husband works away from home Monday to Friday, and now there's me, so I now have a lot more reasons to bake than I used to - and to keep the house clean and tidy, because never before have I had so many callers. In our working days, hubby and I hardly saw anyone in the village. Now I see people nearly every day.

Oh, and I have just had another invite for tea tomorrow, this time with Mandy. I'm getting fat!


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! You can always do with a bit of cake and you're Foody after all so you now have reasons to show off your skills. Glad to see that some new "doors" are opening and you are becoming a social butterfly. Seems you are learning some new things about your village too.... like what a lot of nice people live there !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a village full of lovely ladies ---- and making all those fantastic cakes ------ I'm obviously --- in the wrong part of the country! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely you are making and being given lovely goodies Foody. I have a friend (one of my bridesmaids) who is coming up next week from south of England to stay with us for a few days. She too was widowed about 4 years ago. It is a few years since she was up here and since we last saw each other. So a lot of catching up to do. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helsie: Yes, it is comforting to be surrounded by caring, friendly people. There's a lot you just aren't aware of when you work full time.

    Bernard: Maybe. But you could always try making or buying some cakes and taking them round the doors of the ladies where you live. I could suggest a few opening lines for you if you like!

    Ann: It's kind of lovely but kind of fattening. I do hope you have a really good time with your old friend.

    ReplyDelete