Saturday, 16 March 2013

Taking a tip; and compost, anyone?



Last year I took a tip from our friend and favourite uncle, Bernard, on sweet pea growing. He suggested growing them in cardboard tubes to let the roots grow longer. At first I thought I wouldn't have anywhere I could store 100 loo roll tubes in the dry, but as it happened they didn't take up as much room in the corner of the bedroom as I thought they might. We got through a lot of kitchen roll this winter (without enlarging on the reasons) so it wasn't long until I had plenty tubes. Last week off I went to the greenhouse and planted over 100 seeds. You will see later in the year how they get on.

My head has been all over the place. I had the tubes ready 2 weeks ago, cleaned out the trays, turned aside to plant, then realised I had no seeds or compost. I happened to be going near a garden centre the next week so I got seeds but forgot the compost. Dang! I got compost this week and noticed that a bag was the same price as it used to be, except a bag used to be 80 litres and now it's only 50. Hmph! It was on a 3 for 2 offer though. Only thing is I over-estimated the amount I would need so I still have 2 and a half bags left. It turned out to have been false economy. Compost, anyone?

Now the poor things are frozen solid, but if I had planted them earlier, they would still have been frozen now, so it won't matter. They are very hardy.

6 comments:

  1. No, no, no, it's not false economy, it was a good buy. It will keep anyway - it isn't like food with a BBE date. Use it for cuttings - re-pot houseplants that have been languishing in the same pot for 'Donkeys Years' or spread it around your favourite garden plants. What I did last year with a couple of spare bags I had left over, was - to use them as 'grow-bags' lying down on their sides. I grew Dwarf French beans in one and a Courgette in't other.
    Cheers.....B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read on another blog how they have Sweet Peas potted in the green house so it sounds like you're on the right track... as long as they can survive being frozen solid that is.
    We're having a final ( I hope !) blast of Summer here with temperatures of 34 degrees so we are tucked up inside with the new aircon keeping us comfortable, reading the Sunday papers ( rubbish and full of ads ),watching Formula 1 car racing on tv (Tony )and generally doing nothing much. Lazy day.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks,Bernard. I was afraid it might somehow go off because it would sweat in its bags and if I opened the bags it would then go dry. Thanks for that.

    Helsie: Monty Don on Gardeners' World just planted his on Friday so I'm in good company.
    Glad you are having a slobby day. Wish it was 34 here. We had lots of snow yesterday and it's freezing. It's a long winter, this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking of compost reminded me of a blog I read a while back. She was making Christmas decorations and I was going to send you the link. Well, Christmas wasn't really Christmas was it, so I gave it a miss but I found that what she was making here unusual and fascinating.
    I don't know why she call herself 'Compostwoman'? But there you go! Each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woops - the link didn't work - try again!
    http://www.thecraftycompostwoman.com/2011/12/salt-dough-crafts.html
    No music this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernard: Aw, thanks. I have sometimes thought of making salt dough things. I could make things for all seasons really but it is a great idea for Christmas tree decs.

    ReplyDelete