Thursday, 19 July 2012

Cheese, onion and potato bread



When we go to the annual pony show we have a 13 hour day away from home and we provide the picnic for the driver as well as ourselves. It's a long time to be eating sandwiches, sandwiches, sandwiches so I like to put in some extras, different nibbly things. This is lovely eaten warm with butter or just on its own. You can also slice it and put tomatoes in. Make sure you soak up all that lovely tomato juice in it.


I decided to make some of it for our day at the show on the 28th. I've made two and froze them. One will go with us to the show and the other will go with us when we drive to Yorkshire on 4th August for our holiday. In case shops aren't open on our first full holiday day (a Sunday) I always like to make sure we have enough left over from our Saturday journey picnic to take us through Sunday, when we will probably be walking and be miles from anywhere. But that largely depends on the weather, so please do sun dances for us.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure I could polish off one of those anytime. :)
    I've a show on the 28th too. Let's hope it's a dry one! There has to be some sunny days due soon.
    Cheers...B
    (Ah! So Foodyland is not in Yorkshire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's good weather for your show. Is it a steam fair? One you go to every year?

      Haw, just to foil you we will take a holiday cottage very near home some year. But then answer to your question is 'probably not'.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that certainly looks lovely. We need a recipe please.
    Now you didn't tell me you were going to Yorkshire. Are you going to the Dales? It is one of my top favourites in Lovely England. If you do, the walk from Keld to Muker along the Penine Way is fantastic with a stop in a tea shop in Muker for lunch then back along the river and a walk in the wildflower meadows . Might be a bit skwelchy with all the rain they've been having though. Have a great time and take lots of photos for me so I can pretend I'm there with you.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Helsie, I will put the recipe up. It looks more cheesy than it tastes but it is like a nice savoury scone. I think it would be lovely with tomato soup.
      We did go to the Dales some years ago and Swaledale was our favourite. We loved the old barns, the walls and the meadows. Muker and Keld were really pretty. I remember them well. One day we will go there again so thanks for the walk tip. This time we are further east in the Howardian Hills, near The Yorks Wolds and the North York Moors and the coast. Rain or shine, I can't wait! Yes, I will take pics for you.

      Delete
    2. North York Moors. Mmm. I suspect hubby might be after a ride on a steam train?

      Delete
  3. Bernard: Yes, indeed. We will go the the steam railway. I want to go to Rideaway in Sutton-in-the-Forest (to name just one place).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh... is that up near Castle Howard? It's on my list of places I want to see. North Yorkshire is one of the areas we haven't visited. I'm very keen to visit Whitby too ( links with Captain Cook ), it looks so pretty.
    cheers
    PS I've just zoomed in on Sutton-in-the-Forest with Google Earth. Don't you love technology?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Helsie. Castle Howard is only a couple of miles from where we'll be. We're staying in Terrington. Technology is very useful but I can't say I love it, no!

    ReplyDelete