Friday, 6 July 2012

Fauna Friday: Annual Ants



It happened yesterday. Every year on a Thursday in July this house gets a plague of flying ants. Handy, isn't it? I'm at home on Thursdays so am able to deal with it. Whack! Whack! Whack! Actually there was only a handful today and I despatched them in minutes. In previous years I've had a roomful and it has taken half a day, on and on, because every time I think I have whacked the last one I see another little swarm. I think they all hatch or get their wings on the one day.
Apologies, but even though I am afraid of insects I don't usually kill them. They are fellow creatures after all. However if I feel very threatened, I have to resort these measures. I can't put them outside cos I haven't the time to catch them all individually. I'm not putting up until hubby gets home either. So I'm sorry but it was one of those times. Hubby can clear the corpses off the window ledges when he gets in. I can't stomach that.
I can't go looking for pictures of ants because I'm too scared to look at them. Instead here is a pic of my 'Good Grips' swotter. It was purchased in a posh kitchen shop on a holiday once when we were plagued with flies. The cheaper swotters just shattered on impact. This is really tough and makes a lovely singing 'WHOOSH!' as you swing for the blighters!

The swallow eggs have hatched and both parents are feeding the young. I may post on it properly but I am conscious that Fridays can get a bit bird orientated so I make efforts to have plenty non-bird Fauna Fridays.

4 comments:

  1. There are so many ants in the world I don't think you disbatching a few will cause any problems to the species. Of course down here in Oz we all have insect screens on every window and door to keep out all those beasties - ants, flies, mosquitos, bees , wasps and the rest. There are lots of them. They still get in when you open the door but in manageable numbers.
    Good to hear your terrible weather hasn't stopped the swallows.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helsie. I must say we are very lucky here, insect-wise. In this little square mile we don't even suffer much with wasps or flies. I couldn't live with loads of them, especially big ones, like you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh little blighters, yep I would do the same as you Foody zap them. We have an area in our front garden where they like to "live" huh I am afraid I go and get the ant killer. Thank you for popping over to my blog. My cold is still here thank you for asking, but I feel more like doing things today. if you have a moment have a look at my blog again I have hopefully answered your caching questions and also look at my new post ! yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me again Foody. i have had to delete my last posting of the floods in my blog, for some reason the link will not now open, even in the email my daughter sent to me with the link in will not open. it did open when i put it on my blog but not now grrrrrr just in case you went over there and wondered whatever i was talking about!

    ReplyDelete