Friday, 20 July 2012

Fauna Friday: It's poor I know but here are 3 chicks



One from the swallows' nest. It was 3 weeks ago I noticed the mother not sitting any longer which told me the eggs must have hatched. It's supposed to take 3 weeks from hatch to dispatch so they will be flying soon, but here they are: 3 little chicks. I have noticed today that the parents are not spending time feeding. They seem to fly in, fly at the nest but hardly stop to hand over the food. I think they are trying to entice them out. Mind you, I don't think they look mature enough yet.
The white areas are not eyes, they are the sides of these wide, gapey beaks young birds have.
With this dull weather the light isn't very good in there and it's hard to focus but I don't want to use the flash.

4 comments:

  1. Hee hee to me they look like tiny monkeys looking out. Cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't they just?! They have flown the nest today, the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing with the bad weather I've been hearing about. Seems like you are having some sunny weather now though. I wonder if they will rear another lot like last year.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helsie: Well remembered! Yes, it's been sunny these past few days.We'll see how long it lasts.
    I sort of hope they don't raise more chicks. This lot was late so the next lot will be late and will only just have fledged when it's time to fly to Africa. I wouldn't fancy their chances, poor little mites.

    ReplyDelete