Tuesday, 31 July 2012

A wobbly question




Last week I asked about popping candy. This week I want to ask about jelly. Bernard, you are scientifically minded. Maybe you can help.
I'll tell you some other time why I might be wanting to make a large bowl of jelly (or jello), but I want to know if it will set outside the fridge. Some websites say Yes, some say No. I think the smaller the quantity, the quicker it will set, but I am speaking of a washing up bowl. It's too expensive to do a trial. Well, maybe it isn't. I haven't actually studied jelly prices.
I wondered: if I put extra gelatine in it, would it then set outside the fridge? I could put in lots and lots. Better choose a cool day too, so not now.

4 comments:

  1. In my younger days Mum didn't have a fridge. In fact, no-one I knew had a fridge but we all had jelly. It came as a slab which we broke (tore!) into smaller pieces and poured boiling water on it in a jug. The water had to be measured and it was only if you used too much that the jelly didn't set. Using less water, we had a firmer jelly. I think people only use a fridge to get it to set more quickly.
    I don't know the science. My blog friend Silvie at
    http://greatgrandmashotchpotch.blogspot.co.uk/
    is bound to know all about jelly and blancmange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bernard. That is very reassuring. I will go and visit Sylvie. BTW I meant to say I liked all the jokes in your latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were the same when i was little we didn't have a fridge, so the jellies were left out to set. Oooooh what are you up to Foody wanting to make that much jelly lol?

    I will need to let hubby read the French posting as i do not speak it lol. Thank you for the visit and nice comment,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann: I will tell you. It's for a sort o fprank, like the popping candy.
    I'm pretty nifty at the old Frenchy language meself, (even though I say so meself, if I may). She is full of praise. Says your blog is magnificent, as I remember.

    ReplyDelete