In the nearest town to Foodyland, which may be called Foodyville, every summer night and during days at weekends there is some entertainment going on in this rather dubious iron, wood, fibreglass and perspex box of a venue. This is us, the amateur musical theatre/operatic society doing our weekly evening concert. Yes, Bernard, Foody is in the photo!
Another night there is a brass band, another night a little jazz group. The weekend stuff is probably geared towards children, I don't know.
Every year we have a theme. Last year it was songs of love and hate. In the past we have had the 20's, the wars, Gilbert and Sullivan, songs from round the world, the weather and this year it is the sea. We nearly did the sun. Ha ha! Sometimes we do it in costume.
Here are some of our songs this year:
La Mer (Beyond the Sea)
Pirate King from Pirates of Penzance
Captain of the Pinafore from HMS Pinafore
The Nancy Lee - about Captain Brown who played his ukelele as the ship went down. (Unfortunately topical with Cpt Schattini and his sinking of the poor Costa Concordia)
Nicer in Nice (not really to do with the sea itself but Nice is on land right by the sea. That's a Foody solo)
We would have had Skye Boat Song but the temperamental pianist had a poodie about it. I don't know what the problem was.
Bali Hai
Stranger on the Shore
Isle of Innisfree (Another of my solos. I really like it so I hoped nobody would pick up on the fact that it's really a lake island and nothing whatsoever to do with the sea! Ha ha ha! But it does mention 'across the sea' so maybe it's OK)
We have two medleys of things like 'Life on the Ocean Wave, Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave' 'Rio Grande' 'Oh I do Like to be Beside the Seaside'
Cor Blimey Foody! I shall need to get some extra strong specs to see that.
ReplyDeleteI know I thought, I'll click on it and get a larger picture. Exactly the same size! On my computer it is about the size of an old cigarette-card, even with my noo 24" monitor! :(
You can't be a shy Singing Chicken or you wouldn't be up there on the stage.
The most 'petite' is the fifth in on the right?
Ho hum. Glad you are enjoying yourselves. What happened to 'A Song for Ireland' then? No music?
Cheers....B
Oooooooh i wonder which is you Foody? Lol. But I know you are keeping a low profile. Oooooooooh does that make you sound as if you are a fugitive lol
ReplyDeleteGlad you found the cache site interesting, you can ask me any questiion you like they were not annoying i just thought the site might explain it better than i could lol
Sounds like fun... and the audiences might be better this year as the weather has stopped people from doing the other outdoorsy things they do when the long Summer evenings are fine and clear.
ReplyDeleteEverybody: Well what an interest in an enigmatic Foody. I have actually put up a pic of myself before but pretended it was somebody I didn't know. Ha ha! I think it was on my old blog.
ReplyDeleteBernard: I thought the two shortest were about the same height. Hmmm. I may have said I was small and the smallest at work but did I say I was the smallest of the singers? Not giving much away.
I am shy, but performing turns you into someone you are not. It isn't just shyness this Blogland reticence. It's something else.
You're right - I couldn't find the piano music in the time allowed. That would have been a more apt song.
Ann: There are only 12 ladies there so that narrows it down. Also I am little.
Helsie: Yes, it's fun. The thing is, if the weather is poor, they won't come out and if the weather is good, they won't come in!