Thursday, 27 December 2012

A walk in these parts


Bernard always used to like this sort of post and I'm aware I haven't done one for months at least. This was the first week in December and that may well be the last time we saw the sun. I wanted to go where I could see the huge flocks of fieldfares and redwings that come here every winter and it involved crossing stiles and non-existent stiles ie climbing gates so a no-go for ponies.
I didn't start the photos until well after halfway, but for Bernard who reckons he can follow my route on a map, here goes:
Out the door, turn left, left again and follow the road a long, long way, passing a sharp right hand bend. Huge mixed flock of fieldfares and jackdaws seen hacking into the turf for grubs. Turn right at the second farmyard, up a track which bends right and gives a view of a huge badger sett over to the right. Robin seen here. The track takes you onto more open land on the other side of a valley from the windmills.


Along the edge of the hill, past the two lonely ash and sycamore trees, above the area of gorse where lots of  stonechats live, bear left onto the road then off the road to the right, cross the causeway at the end of the lake, spotting the whooper swans and the goosanders, then pick up a track to the left. It's the track that has good pickings of bilberries in summer. Many redwings seen to the right and some fieldfares too in small flocks. You are still on the right (west) side of the valley). The dark browny area just below the most distant hills is a little heather and bracken-clad valley where 'my' lake nestles.
At the end of the track you pop out into a boggy top with a view over the village, and it's all downhill home from there.
I did see lots and lots of the birds I wanted to spot, as well as a hare and all the usual farm animals and fowl.

Bernard said he recognised this place from being there in the 1940's but I didn't believe him so he owned up. Apparently I had left in a photo title a clue of the exact location of this little corner that is Foodyland, which in fact lies fairly close to where the three counties of Montgomeryshire, Radnorshire and Cardiganshire meet.
I thought as I am not working for a while (with hubby being ill) and with this blog not being searchable on google and not putting my name on it, I could probably drop the paranoid secrecy, but tucked it at the end so only people who sat through the whole post would see it.

9 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a distance you covered by the looks of things but the weather certainly looked good. Pretty countryside isn't it. I guess that's why you chose to live there.
    All these hints about Foodyland, you'll be showing a photo of yourself next !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has......here (and it enlarges!) :)
      http://www.ciaochicken.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/fauna-friday-good-day-at-show.html

      Delete
  3. Steve: Thank you.

    Helsie: Well all these years ago hubby just applied for a job in this area and got it, that's all. I always wnated to live somewhere very rural.
    I already have put pics of myself up, Helsie, but either I haven't let on or I have pretended they are someone else. Hee hee. Oh, maybe that wasn't on Ciao Chicken. It may have been on an old blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernard: Oh, well spotted! All these exhibitors all dressed the same and all these Exmoor ponies looking so alike. Fancy knowing who it was.
    Why would you want to enlarge it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recognise Skylark anywhere....but you are right, that could be one of your friends holding her. :)
      I clicked on it to get a better view of Skylark. :)

      Delete
  5. It was about 1959 actually Foody. :)
    However -
    Thank you for thinking of me this holiday season when us ’Boys in Bucks get Bored’.
    I love a challenge and I promise to give nothing away (delete me if I do).
    1) Lovely pink house - down passed yellowish house with a variety of strange vehicles.
    I spy with my little eye a horse-box. Then another truck owned by L.H.& T Catering.
    'Lovely Hay & Trotting (cubes) Catering' I guess? (Trotting cubes specially formulated to promote stamina and endurance,) Just what I need. :)

    2) Turned left as instructed - a right turn uphill - may I give that a miss!
    Straight on for a long way. Mmm, farm track on left - I’ll ignore that, I’m looking for this sharp right hand bend.
    3) Now, what do I espy here in this field on the left? An old railway van used to store feed for the animals I guess? Has a corrugated iron roof now - not original. Anyway must press on.
    Gosh Foody, this is uphill, I’m all puffed out!
    What’s all this on the right? More horse-boxes, old tractors and a caravan! Hope it’s not my sisters?
    Up, up we go - it must be steep, here’s a yellow box of grit.
    Now, this second farm? Gosh, I’ve lost count. I’m at Bryn Lwyd. I know ’Bryn’ means hill.
    I used to camp at a farm called ‘Bryn Castell’. Castle-on-the-Hill, perhaps.
    Ah, now we have a sharp right-hand bend. Google nearly went over the wall!
    Beautiful view of Foodyland.
    Pressed on. Another caravan on the right - a bit higher up the slope this time. (How on earth did they get that up there?)
    Well, once again I’ve lost count of farms and caravans and the road is now going down hill at last. Unfortunately badger sets are not shown on Google but I have just come across a wee green sign on a post, of a ‘Pony rider’. Guess that must be Foody and Quasar?
    Enough - I’m knackered.
    Bye for now.
    Best wishes for the New Year.
    Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't get very far, Bernard! Not far enough for the badger sett. That is a good viewpoint at the bend. I have always hidden the sea views from my photos. Guess there's no need now.
    Most of the caravans, trailers and odd vehicles belong to the same person.
    I said the 1940's to see if you were still reading.
    Bryn Castell? I'll have to look for that. I don't always know names but can describe how to get to places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bernard: No, you don't recognise Slylark. That was Quasar. Skylark stayed at home because he is a bad loader. Q has white on her face because she is quite aged. S has no white yet.

    ReplyDelete