Do you find that you perform little personal rituals every Christmas? I do. Repetition of familiar old things welcomes Christmas like an old friend. There are certain things I always want to read or do at certain times, like make sure I watch Carols From Kings on Christmas Eve. Before it starts, I like to have done ALL the work, wrapped and delivered/sent every present and card, cleaned the house, prepared all food I can prepare in advance, lit the fire, lit all the same little candles as I always light, switch on the tree lights, dim the main lights and pour a festive drink.
I always make sure that on Christmas Eve I read the Thomas Hardy poem 'The Oxen' (I'm going to put it up on Friday 4th for Fauna Friday) and the above poem by U. A. Fanthorpe 'BC:AD' Also, I make sure I read the excerpt from Kilvert's Diary for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 1878. It is terribly heart-rending stuff, be warned, and I don't always keep dry eyes, so after it I must read something cheering, such as the excerpt from Wind in the Willows with the carolling mice or the carolling bit in 'Cider with Rosie'. Very heart-warming. Those are both too long to put here. The Kilvert is rather long too I admit. I hope you can enlarge it to read.
'scuse the foot!
Below is a photo taken one April afternoon, overlooking a part of Bredwardine Churchyard.
Later at night, we have a tradition of making mulled wine at about 10pm and opening packets of crisps, nuts, dips etc and having a little late night feast, including maybe sausage rolls and other little savouries I may have cooked and finishing with warm mincemeat pies. I could just about live off that sort of food. Just love it. And of course after that it's time to leave out Santa's drink and pie, which he always consumes!
JUST TO SAY... Bernard has told me I missed the punchline in Friday's post. I did.too. It was a long way below the rest of the joke and because there was no colon I wasn't expecting anything after 'sing'. I just thought they sag. Full stop. Sorry Bernard. Sorry all.

Yes - I'm a traditionalist, Foody. I do most things you do - except the only thing I read is A Christmas Carol - which didn't happen this year. Traditions are obviously going to pot in my home!!! xx
ReplyDeleteThere are so many sad events in literature, whether fact or fiction, but it is the events that are occurring in society today which break my heart, Foody.
ReplyDeleteIn all my seventy years I have never encountered such evil, that we read about in the world today.
I read today about a Christian hostage who was beheaded and his body cut into pieces and fed to dogs.
I read earlier about that poor organist who was killed on the way to the midnight service on Christmas Eve.
We are constantly being told that we cannot 'live in the past' but for me, those days seemed infinitely better.
Take care and don't have too many 'wee tots' tonight. :o
'See you' next year!
Cheers....Bernard
Mrs. S: I'm sure you'll pick them up again if and when you want to.
ReplyDeleteBernard: Oh, I know. It's a cruel world.
Didn't have that many because hubby went up to bed early. I went to see him at midnight with my glass of Ampleforth damson gin and tonic and we had a toast - he with a glass of water.
Bernard: I take your point but I don't read the passage to be appalled. To get that I only need look at a paper. I am drawn to that passage every Christmas partly because it happened at Christmas but also for the sheer pathos, the expression of raw emotion. I can feel the cold in that churchyard and porch and being familiar with the place I conjure up the pictures from start to finish. It gives my Christmas the depth I need away from the fripperies, much as I love the fripperies.
ReplyDelete