Did you ever wonder why there are no dead penguins on the ice in Antarctica ?
Where do they go?
Wonder no more ! ! !
It is a known fact that the penguin is a very ritualistic bird which lives an extremely ordered and complex life. The penguin is very committed to its family and will mate for life, as well as maintain a form of compassionate contact with its offspring throughout its life.
If a penguin is found dead on the ice surface, other members of the family and social circle have been known to dig holes in the ice, using their vestigial wings and beaks, until the hole is deep enough for the dead bird to be rolled into, and buried.
The male penguins then gather in a circle around the fresh grave and
sing: 
"Freeze a jolly good fellow."
"Freeze a jolly good fellow." 
Now how did somebody like Foody manage to insert a smiley? Because she plagiarised the post. Copied and pasted it from a message from someone we all know well. Well it did make life easier because I hadn't decided on my subject for Fauna Friday yet. This was handed to me on a plate.
The someone's name begins with B.
I chose Adelie penguins for the picture because I like their eye surrounds. Does the above info apply to all species of penguin, I wonder?

Well good old B to the rescue then. Good subject, penguins are very interesting, cute birds. Very lovable because of their comical antics on the snow. There are places on mainland Australia not far from Melbourne where they come ashore every night , walk up the beach to their nests in burrows. I've never been to see them but I'd really like to some day.
ReplyDeleteYou forgot the punch-lines Foody!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHelsie; Yes, he is very useful and a mine of information.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will get to see them one day. You seem to get to most places!
Bernard: Did I? I'd better go back and look. Can't really remember now what I missed out.
Penguins sound quite human, Foody. xx
ReplyDeleteROFL....that's better. :) Take care.... x
ReplyDeleteGlad you approve, Bernard. I just thought it was a funny story. I didn't use it for crackers because it wouldn't have fitted on such tiny pieces of paper.
ReplyDeleteMrs. S: Yes, I suppose that behaviour would be quite human.