Saturday, 26 January 2013

A taste of summer




Today I am making bilberry cordial. I picked these in the summer and froze them, thinking of having some autumn puddings. As hubby got more ill and hadn't the appetite, they just got left. I need the freezer space now, but he still can't face puds or cakes and I don't want to make them for just me, so I thought I would make a lovely cordial, which could just as well be served hot on those freezing days.

I've been enjoying Belvoir spiced winter berries cordial, which I got in for a treat over Christmas. When that ran out I tried the raspberry and lemon. They really are very, very good. This won't be of that standard but should be perfectly quaffable.



The recipe would work for any soft fruit, I should imagine.

450g of fruit
260 ml water
250g caster sugar
rind of 1 lemon

Warm the first 3 ingredients in a pan until the sugar has dissolved. Then gently simmer for 5 mins. Add the lemon rind and simmer for another 5 mins. Let it cool then strain, really pressing hard until virtually nothing is left, not forgetting to scrape the goo off the bottom of the sieve. Put in a bottle in the fridge. I am enjoying it served hot but if you live in the Antipodes you will probably want to drink this chilled right now.


2 comments:

  1. Helsie: It is indeed lovely either way. These little berries are packed with goodness. I must try to make even more of them in future.

    ReplyDelete