Friday, 11 January 2013
Fauna Friday: Poor fish
I was looking after a little boy's goldfish over Christmas but when I went to feed it on Boxing Day morning I found the poor thing dead, floating about in its bowl. Every day between Christmas and New Year I phoned the local garden centre to see if it was open so I could get another but it wasn't open. I wasn't going to pretend it was the same fish, I was going to tell the mother, then she could choose what to tell the boy. Maybe she could say they often change colour or something. I took a note of its measurements and I had the photo so I could get as good a match as possible. Then the mother came back earlier than I expected so I explained everything. Thankfully the little lad was still at his grandparents' so now the Mum can get a replacement fish.
The Mum told me that they had enquired at the pet shop about the spots on the fish. The fish had been won at the local November Fair (which comes to town every December!) and the Mum and son were a bit concerned about the spots. The pet shop man told them the spots were some incurable disease, which is probably what it died of. The disease is often caused by dirty water. Doesn't surprise me at all about a fairground fish. At least I don't feel responsible any more.
You know, when I was young, we won a fish at a fair and lasted about 15 years!east I don't feel responsible
for its demise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor little fish. I remember winning fish at as a chid at the fairground. At least it wasn't something you did wrong. Typical though isn't It Foody? X
ReplyDeleteAnn: Yes, I did feel awful about it dying under my care.
ReplyDelete