Friday, 4 January 2013

Fauna Friday: Oxen on their knees



There is an old country legend that oxen fall on their knees at midnight on Christmas Eve. Thomas Hardy wrote a poem about it (below). I haven't actually asked any cattle farmer if this is really true. I don't think any of them would bother to go and look at that time of night. 

Christmas Eve, and twelve of of the clock
'Now they are all on their knees'
An elder said as we sat in a flock 
By the embers in hearthside ease

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
In these years! Yet, I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
'Come, see the oxen kneel

In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
Our childhood used to know'
I should go with him in the gloom
Hoping it might be so.


Update on hubby. Bad chest pains on Saturday so took him to A&E but they found nothing wrong so sent him home. Yesterday morning, very unsteady on his legs. Left leg not working at all, weak left arm, foggy vision in left eye. Took him to A&E. He stayed overnight and had a couple of scans. He has had a stroke, bless him, but thankfully not a serious one. Not a TIA or a mini-stroke but a 'proper' one. He is better today, left leg a little better, right leg much better so he is home but needs a stick and lots of support from me. He is getting so thin it's really scaring me.



2 comments:

  1. Interesting tale about the oxen, I've not heard it before.
    Sorry to hear about hubby, he's having a bad time of it.( So are you !!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helsie: I think it's lovely but I always remember that Christmas used to be on 6th January, so how did the animals suddenly know to switch dates?
    Yes, poor hubby. It's hard seeing all these things happening to him and dreading what will happen next.

    ReplyDelete