Thursday, 31 January 2013

What has happened to red lentils?



They used to be bright orange but for the last couple of years they have been a lot paler and far less tasty. I used to love them but now I have to season them an awful lot, which makes them taste of other things and not of lentils.



Look at my lentil soup. It used to be orange and now it's nearly yellow.



I tried these lentil 'chips' (posh name for crisps). Very light texture like Quavers, though with less grease. Nice and dry. But where was the sea salt? Not one grain in this pack I don't think.They were so bland they tasted of nothing really. Next time I will try the chilli flavour and report back.

Are the shops just finding cheaper supplies which are of poorer quality? I loved lentils way back in my childhood so this is all very disappointing. I know there are other types of lentil but the red were always my favourite. Grrrrr, grrrrrr, grrrrrrr!!!
I know Kath did a lentil post recently. I shall go there now and see what she had to say. Some tasty dish I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment