Wednesday, 17 April 2013

A long walk



I felt it was time I got trained up for my 25-miler next month. For the last 6 months since hubby got ill I've just hardly got out walking at all. I looked at the News at 1pm and it said it would cloud over but not rain so I left my waterproof coat behind.



You have seen all these places before, only from different angles. Today I went down this gorge, crossed the river and up again so you are seeing all these from an unusually southerly perspective. In these woods I heard my first chiffchaff and first wood warbler of this year.



Lots of cloud shadows. It was very windy and the clouds whizzed overhead.


Stopped at a little church at cuppa tea time and sat in a sort of graveyard maintenance shed out of the wind. I think I've left the doorpost in. No cat at this church.




Out again and on a bit of road overlooking a marsh area that hubby always loved. If we had ever wanted to move, I bet he would have wanted to move here, into one of these scattered cottages.



Another cup of tea in a wood. We used to come to this wood sometimes. Once I prepared us a picnic evening meal on a week night and we came to this wood to eat it. I felt really sad in here today. Saw my first local swallows of the year on this day. I'd seen one about 12 miles away last week. Also saw long tailed tits and goldcrests in the wood.



Back down to the gorge. You've seen that 'liitle house in the prairie, before, from the opposite side. I think as I walked down I could see how the local farmer used to get down to the river to swim when he was young.  I've never before seen how anyone could get to the water. Apparently there used to be stepping stones at the 'pool' but the nearby hotelier got fed up of local kids crossing over on the stones that he blew them up with dynamite. It started raining! Hmph. Wasn't meant to. If they say it will rain, it doesn't. And vice versa. Grrrr. Wet head.


Been to the bottom of the gorge again, crossed the river and come up my own side. Nearly back home. Good because it's 7pm and I've been walking since 1.30. I'd like to cut that tree down as it's growing over the view.
Home for tea now!

4 comments:

  1. Such a long, solitary walk Foody. Can't imagine walking 25 miles let alone the short amount of time it takes you. Hope you have someone to walk with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place you live in. Looks like great riding country too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty-five miles sounds an awful long way to me.
    My legs are aching after eight! It's not too bad on the level - but just look at those hills.
    Anyway - good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helsie: It'll be much like the 28 miler I did last year. Loads of people do it so although I have signed up solo I will meet people along the way.

    JC: Yes, it's lovely. It's good riding country too.

    Bernard: Thanks. It's not til the end of next month. My legs seized up for days last time I did a big one. I'll cope.

    ReplyDelete