Friday, 26 April 2013
Fauna Friday: What's the time, Mr. Wolf?
Did you ever play 'What's the time, Mr. Wolf'? A bunch of kids would get in a line from left to right. One kid would be facing a wall about, say, 30 feet in front, so the line of other kids would be away behind him/her. The kid - should I be saying 'child'? Is kid American? The child in the front, with face to the wall, facing away from the line, would be Mr. Wolf. Mr. Wolf didn't get to look round at the line of children. The line of children would call out 'What,s the time, Mr. Wolf?' Mr. Wolf would say a time, always an o'clock. If he said '3 o'clock', the line of children would have to advance 3 steps towards him and so on. After a few 'o'clock' times, when Mr. Wolf thought the line of children might be sufficiently close, when the children said 'What's the time Mr. Wolf?' he would suddenly turn round and yell 'Dinner time!!!' and the line of children would run away from him as fast as they could, and he would catch the slowest. Then I suppose that child who was caught was the next Mr. Wolf.
I was out walking and could hear little pitter patters behind me. When I looked round there were a couple of sheep following. I walked on again and looked round and there were a few, then the next time I looked I had a big following. When I stopped they all gather round, surrounding me on all sides so I told them I wasn't the farmer come to feed them, I was actually Mr. Wolf, and they scarpered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Foody
ReplyDeleteI played that at school as well. Yes I think "kid" is an Americanism, I too don't like to hear a child being referred to as a kid, makes the parents sound like goats. The same as all of Britain now say "movies" Instead of film. My moan over lol.
Ann: It was a good game, wasn't it? Yes, grrrrr to all this Americanism stuff and all that 'to go' instead of 'cairy oot' and 'regular' instead of 'medium'.
ReplyDelete