Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Berry crop



Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the magnificent crop of rowan berries this year? From the look of the hawthorn berries, which are not yet ripe, the haw crop is going to be of similar proportions. That is supposed to mean we are in for a long, hard winter, but I've very often in the past seen bumper crops then the winter has been unusually mild so it's definitely an old wives' tale.

3 comments:

  1. We took a walk along the river tonight as we needed to replace a geocache container, the brambles are almost ready and looking big, another couple of weeks maybe and then out to pick some.
    We have noticed that the nasturtiums this year are very poor in the garden, in fact they haven't flowered. But in saying that, the plums this year are lovely from our tree, it was nearly taken out this year so the threat last year must have worked lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps just a sign of a good Summer with warm sunny days so lots of flowers germinated ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann: Well, enjoy when they do come. They're such a gift, all that free tasty food.
    I think I'll have to threaten that little secret wild plum and that secret little apple tree that I know about because they are bare this year. I hope you have lovely plum desserts and fresh plums too.

    Helsie: Yes, it's probably that scientific explanation that is the true one. It has been dry and warm (until mid August!).

    ReplyDelete