Friday, 8 August 2014

Fauna Friday: The lesser striped sock bird


Found injured on a handy pony course, taken to bird hospital and later confirmed as an ex-lesser striped sock bird.

I had to design, build and judge a handy pony course at a nearby Exmoor Pony show last month. I had a steward to help me, so I decided to make her one of the props. Among other things, competitors had to dismount, pick up this 'injured bird' and make their way' leading their pony over stepping stones, to the bird hospital and hand the bird over to the receptionist nurse, who was my steward, sitting ta a chair and table in the middle of the field.

I'm already thinking of what to put in the course next year.

My own ponies? Really fine. I had two vet friends to stay recently so I asked them if Quasar looked OK to them, as she dropped weight last winter and hasn't put it back on. They thought she looked fine, and good for her age. Her feet don't need rasping either, thank goodness. Skylark is very well too. He is too fat, so while Quasar is munching on fattening food, I give him a heap of carrots, which occupy him but don't make him fat. I will ride Q when I feel she is up to weight, which I think will be very soon now.

3 comments:

  1. Love the bird and the course sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always very wary when it comes to bird identification and wouldn't normally disagree with you. (remember the wren?) But here I think you have found a greater-striped sock birding, judging by the number of neck rings. :-)
    You could have used those glass 'chicken eyes' I sent you? Or perhaps you are saving those for next year.
    I'm glad to hear the ponies are well. I did wonder - as Quasar, like Wesley and I, are getting on in years. Cheers B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helsie: Yes, it was fun.

    Bernard: I do remember the wren and it really was a wren. Anyway...... yes, having checked my rare bird guide, I think I now agree with you that it most definitely is the greater-striped sock bird. Well done in spotting these fine details. I didn't use the glass eyes because I was intending dismantling the sock bird immediately, but it is still here on my kitchen worktop and meanwhile I am 2 pairs of socks down.
    I'm going to get on Quasar soon as she has fattened up, but the weather has become unsettled these last few days.

    ReplyDelete