Is it the outer husk of a talon or of a young sheep's horn? The biggest bird we get around here is the red kite, which is about 2 feet tall. Surely its claw wouldn't be over 1 and a half inches long? I don't mean its whole toe even, just the claw on the end of it.
Let's try it for size. It's pretty big compared to my pinkie.
I just don't think a horn would be so curved or so sharp at the end. I will hang onto it and one day will ask someone more in the know.
If I had to make guess, I'd say a badger perhaps?
ReplyDeleteBernard: Hey, now I think you might well be right. I discounted mammals except for the horn idea. A badger is a lot bigger than a kite and it does a lot if digging so needs big strong toes and claws. I was thinking of taking it to my vet friends when I see them next month. They may well confirm that Bernard is right! Thanks for that!
ReplyDelete