Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Am I allowed in again?



Hi. I don't know why I haven't been here for ages again. I think that after so long a time away, I am just not thinking about the blog when I have a spare minute to think of what to do next.

Here is my finished patio extension and new path and step. Everything to the far side of these two canes is the work of my own hands this June.



And a view as you enter the garden, with Ludo the cat there by the pot plant.

Since finishing I have gone on to make some new steps down one side, but only laying slates in the actual ground, so the grass will grow round and about them. If it doesn't work long term, I'll have to lift them up and do a more proper job.

Blogger is running VERY SLOWLY today. Darned nuisance.

3 comments:

  1. It's a bit hard to see but you've created a whole section on another level ? Pretty hard work. Did you have to move a whole lot of soil as well as slate pavers. Wonder Woman ! You must be proud of yourself. This sort of thing gives you a real sense of achievement doesn't it ? Nice to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The work of my own hands."
    Well, poor old hands. :(
    Heaving slabs and slates around is no joke is it, and of course, the cement dries your hands out until they look like prunes! Or mine do!
    I'm glad to hear you are being creative - it's always very satisfying to be able to sit back after a hard days work and enjoy a (glass of wine) tea and cakes with friends and admire your labours. Excellent.
    Cheers... B (and Wesley xx)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helsie: Yes, some on a higher level and some on the same level. If you click on the pic it gets bigger. It was very hard work and I used to go to bed WHACKED. But I like sitting on it now and looking at it.

    Bernard: Yes, indeed poor hands. I find it hard to be accurate using a trowel so it really was hands on. All the slates were ones that are just in the soil anyway, so they took some digging and levering out. And yes I had to dig away al the upper level of soil too. The bags of sand and cement were heavy and such a horrid drying and corrosive effect they have. I was really glad to finish it. Yes, I've had wine and tea and cakes on it. The heaviest woman in the village stood on an edge stone the first day after I 'finished' it and broke it off so I broke the whole front edge down again to below the base and re-did its entire length. Next time she comes I'll try to keep her off the edge.

    ReplyDelete